Tuesday, December 05, 2006

The Beach

After hearing numerous encouragements and rave reviews from various friends about The South Beach Diet, I decided that the day after gorging myself for Thanksgiving would be a good time for me to start. Not only did I want to get my body into tip-top shape for my Mexican Christmas Extravaganza, but I also wanted to start eating healthier and to shake those winter lethargic feelings of laziness and depression. Now I am in the home stretch of Phase 1, and I have to admit, I feel great!

According to the official Web site, The South Beach Diet is not a traditional low-carb plan. Instead, people are encouraged to choose the right carbs, the right fats, and lean sources of protein. “It’s not just a diet, it’s a way to eat for life.”

Following Phase 1 for two weeks kick-started the diet for me. I’ve been eating normal-sized portions of lean meat, fish, eggs, reduced-fat cheese, nonfat yogurt, nuts and plenty of vegetables. I can even have snacks and desserts. And I have to admit, it really hasn’t been that hard at all. I just have to plan my days out a little better as far as food is concerned. The only thing that has been a drag is the no alcohol rule. That’s right, off-limits; not even a drop. And I don’t want to sound like an alcoholic, but it is far less entertaining to go out on the weekends sober.

Although my goal wasn’t necessarily to lose a lot of weight, but generally feel better about my health, I have managed to drop 6 pounds! And I definitely notice it in my middle area, which shows that the diet does in fact “target stubborn belly fat” as it claims. This while eating as much as I want of the things I am allowed. Interesting concept… when you eat healthy things you can eat a lot more of them and lose weight as a result!

So, as Phase 1 comes to a close I have to admit that I am already feeling better. The carb cravings passed after the first few days, and I’ve never been huge on excessive amounts of sugar anyway. I only had one slip-up with some baby carrots, which I later found out are strictly forbidden. But as Larisa pointed out, at least I didn’t accidentally eat a Big Mac.

Moral of the story: I’m loving SBD, but can’t wait until Saturday when I plan on drinking my body weight in wine for my birthday. Thanks to all those who have been so supportive these past few weeks!

Phase 2, here I come…

2 comments:

Jeanna said...

In the wise words of Larisa, "If everyone convinced two people to do South Beach, the world would be a better place!"

Anonymous said...

Go South Beach!!! I love it. I cant wait until next summer when we are the hottest bitches at the sand bar!!!!! Hello pasties!!!