Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Feliz Navidad

I am in sort of a bah, humbug mood this month. I haven’t gotten into the Christmas spirit at all, and it’s starting to really bug me. When you live in an apartment by yourself there isn’t a whole lot of motivation to get a Christmas tree, or even put up lights. I went to the Nutcracker, but somehow even that didn’t do it for me. I also watched Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and Frosty the Snowman on TV last week, but it still doesn’t seem like Christmas.

I think the main problem is that I haven’t done any Christmas shopping. Since I am going to spend Dec. 20 through Dec. 28 in Cabo San Lucas with my family, we decided to not buy gifts for each other this year. The only things I’ve had to purchase are gift exchange presents for work and Vanessa’s Christmas party. And since Christmas shopping is normally one of my main December attractions, no wonder I am feeling a bit lost.

I’ve also only gone to one Christmas party, which seems odd. Vanessa and Kendra hosted the third annual Penski Twins Christmas Bash on Sunday night, and I had a really great time. The abundance of food, liquor and friends was fantastic, and the gift exchange was completely entertaining, although I got stuck with candles while Jeanna and Larisa got decidedly more exciting gifts. The highlight of the night was definitely when Johnny Ho and Abe played rock-paper-scissors, and the loser had to drink a shot of soy sauce. Abe lost, poor guy!

Tonight I will attend my company Christmas party at Brasa before heading home to pack for my trip. I have to leave for the airport at 2 a.m. to make my flight, which leaves at some ridiculously early hour. By the time I arrive at my hotel, I will have been awake for almost 30 hours, unless I am fortunate enough to fall asleep on the plane, which for me is doubtful.

It’s going to be weird to spend Christmas in a foreign country, especially since my family has never participated in the “Destination Christmas” idea before. We’ll still go to church on Christmas eve, but it will be in Spanish! And I can only hope and pray that the satellite TV at our resort will include an English version of “It’s A Wonderful Life” because if there’s one thing that will ruin Christmas for me, it’s not seeing that movie. I’ve watched it every single year since I can remember, and if I don’t hear “Daddy, Teacher says every time a bell rings, an angel gets its wings!” You know you love it, too.

Regardless, I’m going to try and make this the best Christmas ever. And either way, at least I will get to go skiing for New Years with a tan. Merry Christmas everyone, I’ll miss you!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will make sure your furry child gets high off nip on Christmas and gets a dabble of wet food too. I hope you have a wonderful time! I'm jelous.

Jeanna said...

I'm not in the Christmas mood either. And I'm not even leaving and still have to buy presents. I'm afraid I'm turning into one of those bah humbug adults. Maybe Christmas just starts to lose its luster after 25 of them...
At least you get to be in Mexico! That is one of the most fabulous places ever.
Merry Christmas

Anonymous said...

Cabo San Lucas? That sure beats playing nursemaid to a bunch of garlic-eaters!


Steve

Anonymous said...

dang i wish i was going some place tropical for christmas!! i've been to cabo! it was fun! i went snorkling and whale watching and those rock things in the water are really pretty, haha!
well have fun! i'm jealous!
and SARAH! I live in a one bedroom apartment by myself and I have a tree, lights, fake snow, a little village and some other stuff... like a little charlie brown christmas tree i found in the woods and decorated with earrings! lol.. i know, it's weird! Anyway, I'm not AS in the christmas spirit either, it just seems different as you get older! welp, love ya! Brooke

Anonymous said...

I hope you're having a fabulous time in Cabo! I'm so jealous....

Anonymous said...

MISSING your blogs.......

Jeanna said...

your blog site is getting MOLDY.