Sunday, June 22, 2008

Summer Solstice Festival 2008

I’ve always thought that riding naked on a bicycle seems like just about the most uncomfortable idea ever, but of course I never miss a chance to see dozens of naked, painted hippies riding bikes in public all at once. Thus, I once again this year attended Fremont Summer Solstice Festival to gawk and drink beer. What a glorious way to spend a Saturday.

I think this year Fremont was more packed than ever. I only managed to catch a glimpse of the parade through the swarms of people, but a peek was really all I needed of the flabby, hairy, colorfully painted anatomy going up the street. We grabbed some lunch and then headed over to the real highlight of the festival... the Beer Garden!

Larisa, definitely enjoying herself.

The group, feeling just a little bit silly after a morning of mimosas.

Is this just way too cheesy for words?

Mike & Jeanna.
The ladies.
Larisa & Dave.

There's really nothing much more entertaining than people-watching at festivals while drinking beer. I swear, the characters who are willing to come out in public continue to amaze me. And thsi year was made even more entertaining by the fact that several homosexual males took it upon themselves to hit on my boyfriend. Is it bad that I simply looked on from the sidelines, laughing at his discomfort? Poor Stewart tried to explain to them that he is, in fact, straight. But the boys explained to him that he's actually just "confused." And with a few beers in me this was hysterically entertaining.

Poor Stew (although he does look darn cute!)

The view from our amazing rooftop patio.

A rendezvous with Crystal.

Of course later that evening there was no reason to stop the general shenanigans of the day, so we met some more friends at a local Fremont bar, followed by drinks on our glorious rooftop patio, followed by more drinks at a well-known Queen Anne establishment... complete with karaoke, Stewart-style. Hearing my boyfriend sing Oasis's "Wonderwall" drunkenly at the top of his lungs definitely brought the day to a fantastic close.

I can't wait until next year.

2 comments:

Jeanna said...

I think it's hilarious that a new blog post pops up on the RSS feeder for three months ago.
Are you doing this for your own life diary keeping? ;)

Sarah Alway said...

I've usually got a list of about six or seven drafts going that I never finished. Then every once in a while I will go in and finish them. They will be entertaining to read later in life. I definitely do blog more for myself (journal-style) rather than caring if people read it.