Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Cineoke



Last night I attended a super fun event that I have subsequently added to my calendar once a month for the next year. Cineoke is the latest and greatest thing in Seattle, in my opinion – I can’t believe this was my first experience!

My friend Steve told me about Cineoke a few months ago. Happening once a month at the Jewelbox Theater in the Rendezvous, it’s like karaoke, only better! For $5 you get to experience great films, fun songs and drinks. Basically, people get to star in their favorite movie musical. A person picks a musical scene in a movie to sing along to, while the film and lyrics are projected onto a screen behind the stage. There are hundreds of songs to choose from, or you can bring your own special request.

Steve did an absolutely fantastic performance to a song from Tim Burton’s Corpse Bride – including an amazing guitar solo! Several people performed to Disney songs including Aladdin, Sleeping Beauty, and The Little Mermaid (of course I sang along). Also featured were songs from Little Shop of Horrors, West Side Story and Chicago. But the absolute hands-down highlight of the evening was a duet of “I’ve Had The Time Of My Life” from Dirty Dancing. This is not a joke – the couple had the entire dance choreographed, he jumped off the stage just like Patrick Swayze. Even better, the audience (unprompted or warned before the show) danced up the theater isle mimicking the movie’s cast! It was unbelievably impressive and more than a little entertaining.

Please, if you ever have the chance to attend Cineoke – DO IT. Preferably with a performance prepared from The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

July 9th it's 'Gee Officer Krupke' or I burn the place to the ground!


Steve

Sarah Alway said...

I'm going to see West Side Story tonight, so I will have a good basis of comparison when I evaluate your talent in July.