Thursday, June 07, 2007

Hands Off – Cailin Is Officially Taken!

Yep, they did it! Cailin and Clint finally tied the knot. I’m finding it really hard to wrap my head around the fact that one of my best friends is actually married – even though I spent almost a week in Orlando, FL celebrating with the happy couple. I’m still recovering from my East Coast jet lag… and probably from the crazy partying as well!

We caught a red eye flight out of Seattle on Wednesday night. I knew that upon our arrival we would be expected to follow a strictly organized itinerary that wouldn’t allow for a lot of sleep, so I came prepared. At the airport I bought myself a Vodka Diet as a night cap. Then as soon as I sat down and buckled my seat belt, I popped two Tylenol PMs. By the time we were airborne, the cabin lights had been dimmed and I was stretched out across three empty seats with headphones and an eye mask on. I pulled my sweatshirt over my head and that was that.

What seemed to be only 20 minutes later, I was rudely awakened by the cabin lights and the captain’s voice. We were landing in Atlanta! I couldn’t believe it! I am person who is never able to sleep on airplanes, but had passed out completely for almost five hours. It was hands down the best flight I have ever been on. After a short and sweet flight into Orlando, we were greeted by the 9 a.m. summer sun, palm trees and 80 degree weather.

We went to a fantastic breakfast and then chatted on the porch back at Cailin and Clint's apartment before shopping for last minute wedding items. Then we finally headed to the hotel to check in.

The Residence Inn Marriott was very impressive. Different than a regular hotel, it consisted of stacked four-plex units connected by winding paths lined with bushes and trees. Lacey and I shared a huge room with a full kitchen, living room and queen-sized bed, and the rest of our party was all nearby. After a quick two hour nap in an attempt to ward off jet lag, we were up to shower and dress for dinner at Bahama Breeze and the Bachelor/ette Party!
At dinner we drank fancy cocktails and socialized with Clint and Cailin’s family before eating a fantastic dinner. Not a bad way to start an evening, if you ask me. Then we headed back to Cailin and Clint’s apartment for pre-funking with their friends. Five or six shots and one Vodka Diet later, I joined the group in the stretch Hummer limousine that arrived to take us to a downtown Orlando Club.
After a wild trip that included more cocktails in the limo and a windy ride hanging out of the sun roof, we arrived at the club like rock super stars. We made our way inside to what I can only describe as a little piece of heaven. No cover before midnight. Women drink free until midnight. Seriously? One can only guess where the night went from there. We bounced back and forth between the club’s different rooms, dance floors and bars – at one point I think I was triple-fisting cocktails. After quite a long stint of dancing, we thought we would go outside for a breath of fresh air… this was very naïve. In Seattle, this would have been a great idea, but it didn’t occur to us that in June, in Florida, it’s hotter outside than in a dance club. Great.
At last call we piled back into the limo and were dropped at our hotel, where Kimberly and I decided that purchasing and eating a pizza from the hotel lobby store was an absolute necessity. I am still convinced this pizza caused me lack of a hangover the next morning. Upon waking, Cailin picked the bridesmaids up and took us to a salon for our mani/pedis.
After a fantastic pampering experience, we headed home to change for the rehearsal. Back at Cailin’s, we got some bad news. Clint had recently been to the emergency rooms for some recurring stomach problems, as well to his regular doctor earlier in the week, but it seemed that he had become severely ill again. The rehearsal would now be minus a groom, as he headed to the doctor’s office. Cailin was visibly upset as we drove to the estate house. I didn’t know what to say to make her feel better. There was talk of postponing the honeymoon in Tahiti.
The Cypress Grove Estate House was absolutely gorgeous. Set on the shore of some sort of Florida bayou, brick paths wound through the green laws surrounding a huge white house. Palm trees with hanging vines and colorful flowers were everywhere, and the couple was going to say their vows underneath an adorable little gazebo on the shore of the lake. As if enough things weren’t going wrong, the weather had not been cooperating. The skies had been cloudy since we arrived, and as we left the rehearsal, it began to pour down rain – Seattle style. Not just a little one-hour rain storm that is typical of Florida, but buckets and buckets of rain… for hours.
Back at the hotel, the bridal party checked into the Penthouse Suite and got ready for the rehearsal dinner, which was at Texas de Brazil, one of the most fantastic restaurants I have ever been to! Luckily, the groom had returned from the doctor with several prescriptions and seemed to be doing much better. Texas de Brazil is a Brazilian steakhouse unfortunately not located on the West Coast. I would pretty much give my first born child to eat there every day of my life. It has a forty item salad bar including appetizers, soups, salads and side items. After filling up your pate at the salad bar, diners return to their tables and use a circular card – red on one side, green on the other – to order meat. If your card is turned to green, be prepared to be swarmed by a troop of carvers generously serving various cuts of sizzling Angus Beef, lamb, pork, chicken and Brazilian sausage. These delicious cuts are slowly roasted over an open flame and accompanied by garlic mashed potatoes and sweet fried bananas. The fabulous meal accompanied by pitchers of Sangria was pretty much all I could ever ask for in life.
We left the restaurant and drove back to the hotel through a torrential downpour. I’m sorry, what state am I in here? Cailin was obviously not happy about the fact that her garden wedding may have to move under a tent, but there was nothing she could do. We spent a while gossiping with Cailin before going to bed… I couldn’t believe it would be her last night as a single woman! In the morning, she awoke glowing and obviously excited. The weather report was 50/50 – which was at least much better than the 100% chance of rain and thunderstorms the night before.
Cailin left for her hair and makeup appointment when her sister-in-law arrived to take care of the bridal party. We were each treated to a fantastic updo that was held in place by literally hundreds of pins and several cans of hairspray. As the critical hour approached, we packed up and headed to the estate house.
We were hustled upstairs to the bridal room, a gorgeous little hideaway filled with couches, mirrors and makeup stands. The time ticked by as we steamed our dresses, put on makeup, and dealt with last minute items such as scuffing the bottom of Cailin’s shoes, locating the flower girl’s basket, and getting treats for the dog. Finally it was time to get ready. Cailin’s mom’s eyes teared up as we helped Cailin get into her gorgeous wedding dress. She had never looked more beautiful. We quickly pulled on our own dresses, grabbed our bouquets and got in line… it was time. With a quick kiss and an, “I love you,” down the isle she went.
The wedding went flawlessly. It did not rain, and we were able to deal with the heavy winds. With Clint in my direct line of sight, I was barely able to keep it together. His look of pure love and adoration at his bride is indescribable. I can only hope that someday, someone will look at me that way. After cocktail hour and photos, we sat down for dinner and the introduction of the newlyweds. The maid of honor gave a fantastic speech and then it was time to party! Except for one small thing…
My dress was too tight. WAY too tight. Could it be because of the 30 beers I drank Memorial Day Weekend that I was experiencing such pain and lightheadedness? The boning was digging into my ribs, and I had not taken a deep breath for more than an hour. I had to get out. There was no other option. Upstairs, I stripped off the $250 dress and proceeded to cut it apart. Eh, I’ll probably never wear it again anyway, right? Sans corset, the dress was much better, so I hit the dance floor.
I have to admire Cailin and Clint’s choice for their first dance: “Chasing Cars” by Snow Patrol was absolutely perfect. Soon we all got up to get jiggy with it in the stifling heat. Sweating and covered in head to toe bug spray, I don’t think I have ever felt sexier. Then came the bouquet toss… and I caught it! I was shocked, it was totally a first time experience. However, I was not aware of the next tradition. Cailin’s cousin, who subsequently caught the garter belt, was then required to replace it… on MY leg! Apparently, each inch he went up meant another year of happiness for the happy couple. Um, not the most comfortable situation I have ever been in, but entertaining I suppose.
Finally, it was all over. The happy couple headed to their hotel for their first night together, and the exhausted bridal party dragged ourselves back to the hotel. I’ve never slept better in my life. The next morning I awoke to glorious blue skies and streams of sunshine. Typical. I lounged by the pool for a while before we headed to the airport.
Back in Seattle, I still can’t believe that Cailin is married… is someone’s wife. I don’t know why the concept seems so foreign. I suppose it’s because she is essentially my first good friend to get hitched – and my craziest! For a while I never thought she would settle down. But as Lacey said in her speech, when she’s with Clint, Cailin seems filled with a sense of calm that was never there before. I think they will make each other truly happy. And I’m so grateful to have been there to celebrate with them!
Congratulations, Clint & Cailin!
I LOVE YOU!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geez -- what a long, detailed blog! Why can't your writing be short and snappy like mine, Sarah?? XD


Steve

Anonymous said...

where did you find your black and white bridesmaid dress??? ive been looking for one just like it for my wedding....email back at hulagrl5@hotmail.com

thanks and God bless.

Anonymous said...

this may have been an exciting time for you but no one else cares. I just wanted an idea for how to do my hair for homecoming but yours are out of date. Grow Up!!!

Sarah Alway said...

Well, you obviously cared enough to take the time to leave this comment, Anonymous. I'm sorry you have nothing better to do than leave extremely rude messages for strangers via the internet. I feel very sorry for you that you are such a negative person; you should try to work on that. Good luck! :)