Friday, September 21, 2007

5th Grade Rejects

So this fall I finally realized my earlier dream of paying on an Underdog Sports League kickball team. I connected with my friend Hannah, who I knew had played on a kickball team before, and we organized some mutual friends into a team. After much deliberation we landed on the name “5th Grade Rejects” in honor of our elementary school days.

The first game was awesome! We won by two runs and I couldn’t believe how much fun I had! I used to hate kickball when I was a kid and always dreaded when my turn came to kick, but playing as an adult is so much better! First of all, you can drink beer in the dugout. Second, the entire team gets to wear matching, lime green shirts, which is obviously super rad. And finally, it’s just entirely entertaining to see how competitive people get about kickball! I personally prefer to play in the outfield and hope that if someone kicks a fly ball one of the guys playing a position near me will run over and catch it. But kicking is much more fun, because girls get to bunt, which means if you do it correctly you are almost guaranteed to get on base. And I actually scored a run the first game!

Unfortunately, our success in game one was not carried over into the rest of the season. We ended up with only two regular season wins and four losses, which somehow still put us into the semi finals, and due to the other team forfeiting halfway through the game, we made it to the finals! Where we inevitably lost 2 to 10. Oh well though – sheesh it’s just kickball! The entire season was great and I always looked forward to heading out to the fields at Greenlake after work. Our only problem was that even though our Facebook page boasted 18 members we always seemed to have a problem scrounging up enough players each week. But they players who did show up regularly often went to Leny’s Tavern after the games for beers, so I got to make some new friends and hopefully I became super popular, just like elementary school! (Of course without the poofy bangs and stretch pants).

0 comments: