Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Lincoln Rock

This weekend I ventured back to Lincoln Rock campground on the east side of Lake Entiat in Eastern Washington. Last summer this was the destination Kelly, Jeanna and I picked for our girl's weekend camping trip, and we had such a good time I was more than happy to accept Tara and Winston's invitation to go back again this year.

I was somewhat disappointed when I realized while packing up that this would probably be my last camping trip of the summer. I think I roughed it more this year than I have in my whole prior lifetime combined. I even went so far as to purchase my own tent, camping chair and cooler. Which was definitely a good investment, because it's pretty safe to assume that if I wasn't doing something wedding related this summer, I was camping.

Although Tara and Winston's boat sustained some minor injuries which rendered it unusable for the second half of the summer, we still decided to take advantage of our dock-side campsite at Lincoln Rock. Stewart and I met up with Jeanna, Kelly, Tara and Winston on Saturday morning and after setting up camp proceeded to spend a blissful day floating on the lake drinking beer and napping. There is absolutely nothing more fantastic and relaxing than a day with nothing to do other than bask in glorious sunshine while sleeping or reading a book. I tried not to think about the fact that this would probably be my last chance of the summer.

That evening while Tara prepared another one of her famous pot roasts over the campfire the rest of us played a couple rounds of Bocce Ball. I had never played this strange version of Italian bowling before and found it fairly boring at first but was able to get the hang of it by the end of our little tournament. After filling ourselves with Tara's scrumptious dinner we spent the next several hours playing Drinking Jenga and laughing around the campfire. I was once again reminded of all the reasons why I LOVE camping. There just isn't much that beats sitting around a campfire with your friends while you drink and drink, laugh and laugh.

The next morning Tara and Winston left early, leaving Jeanna, Kelly, Stewart and I to drag the air mattresses out of our tents and fall asleep in the sun for most of the morning. I desperately tried to soak up enough Vitamin D to last me through the winter. As I packed up my tent I realized that I probably wouldn't see it again until next spring or summer - such a sad thought!

Ah well, at least I ended the summer with a completely relaxing trip at Lincoln Rock. I just hope next year we will get to take advantage of the glorious Lake Entiat weather with a boat! So I guess it's time I start thinking about my fall and winter hobbies, now that camping season has officially come to a close. I'm thinking... SNOWBOARDING!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

If the weather is right FALL camping is some of the best camping ever! Campgrounds are empty, there are NO kids, and it is crisp and pretty!