Monday, September 10, 2007

Do the Puyallup

I can’t really explain to you why I think the Puyallup Fair is so fabulous. In reality, it’s nothing more than a glorified shopping mall parking lot carnival – with the addition of some farm animals. However, I always get super excited around that time at the end of the summer when the Puyallup Fair commercials begin airing. Maybe it’s because of all the fond memories I have of going to the fair with my family as a little kid. In any event, this year I spent basically the entire weekend in Puyallup doing all the stereotypical things one does at a fair.
On Saturday I attended the Puyallup Pro Rodeo on Saturday night with Stewart and a bunch of his friends. The best parts, by far, were (a) the "Jack Daniels garden" and (b) the little kids riding sheep in an imitation of real bull riding – so cute! Let me tell you, I saw some interesting characters at the rodeo. Huge belt buckles, even huger cowboy hats, Wrangler jeans starched to a crisp, several mullets and uncountable handlebar mustaches were present. Super classy. Yee Haw!
After leaving the fair Stewart and I somehow ended up drunk at some random bar in Enumclaw. Where I once again saw far more cowboy hats and large belt buckles than I usually see in a year in downtown Seattle. Sick.
On Sunday I once again trekked down south to meet my family for another day of Puyallup Fair fun. After eating the largest, greasiest cheeseburger and fries of my life, we headed to my favorite part of the fair – The Expo Hall. Anyone who knows me is aware that I am obsessed with Infomercials, so the Expo Hall is basically my dream come true: a living, breathing, never-ending Infomercial for about every product you can imagine! I spent at least a couple hours wandering up and down the isles watching demonstrations of cool new products. Finally, I dragged myself away so we could catch Travis Fox’s 4 p.m. hypnotist show, which never fails to be entertaining. I still can’t figure out if the participants are faking it or not! My brother and I decided to ride at least one ride while we were there – although in hindsight I don’t think eating all that greasy food and a grape slushy before riding was such a good idea.

Before leaving we saw some more Mutton Bustin’ – the little kids on sheep. I swear this never gets old. The contestants have to be 6 years old or younger and under 60 pounds. They attempt to last six seconds on a sheep that’s as unpredictable as a bull. Sheep are released from a chute and take the rider to the other side of the arena – if they can last that long! Most of the kids fell off before six seconds but their bravery was so adorable the crowd always cheered them on.

Honestly, I don’t think two days at the fair were enough. I didn’t really get to see any of the animal exhibits, which is one of my favorite parts. There’s also tons of free entertainment at multiple stages that probably would have been cool to see if I had more time. Overall it was definitely way too expensive, but totally worth it.

You can do it at a trot, you can do it at a gallop, you can do it real slow so your heart don’t palpitate - just don’t be late, do the Puyallup!

2 comments:

Rachael said...

Sounds like you had fun. The only time I can really remember "doin the Puyallup" is when we went up there with Chancy, Stephen and Bill...I think Jamie was there too?? I can't remember. I'm sure you had a lot more fun this time around!

Thomas said...

Doing the Puyallup isn't the best thing ever when little nieces and nephews go ballistic.