Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Bite Me.

In case anyone is wondering, this is exactly why I am terrified of dogs. Being mauled by a pit bull while sleeping is pretty much my worst fear realized.

I continue to tell people that dogs (while for the most part, adorable, cute, loyal and loveable) are innately dangerous and not to be trusted. The dogs that attacked Sue Ann Gorman at her home in Gig Harbor while she was asleep in bed were not provoked or threatened… they hunted and attacked a human being. The thought of this absolutely terrifies me. The saddest part? A neighbor’s Jack Russell terrier was killed in the attack, although the small dog probably saved Sue Ann by distracting the larger, evil dogs long enough for her to escape.

This is so sick and wrong, and I hear similar stories far too often, although this is definitely the worst in years.

I narrowly escaped an attack by a Rottweiler when I was three years old (according to my mother). The dog was owned by a family friend who of course thought the pet was not at all dangerous. That’s what everyone thinks about their own dog… until it bites someone’s face off.

I am in no way saying that all dogs are bad. I will, however, argue adamantly that no one should be allowed to own dangerous breeds like Rottweilers and pitt bulls. These dogs are completely unpredictable, dangerous and have been bred to be vicious attack dogs. Many of them have been “blacklisted.” I don’t understand why someone would want that in their home. Or even as a junk yard dog, for that matter.

There are almost 5 million dog bite victims annually, and approximately 26 die per year. The majority of attacks happen at home or in a familiar place, and the vast majority of biting dogs belong to the victim’s family or a friend. So bottom line? Don’t make fun of me for being scared of your dog, and don’t try to convince me that it is friendly and lovable. My fear is not only rational, but completely justified. I’m happy that you love your pet, and I wish the two of you a long and happy life together. But keep it the fuck away from me.

Thanks.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That last paragraph made me laugh. Me, an owner of 3 dogs and at least three days a week being in a daycare of 20, I can read them pretty well. I would never make fun of someone's fear, shit, I am afraid of people puking! Harper is not fond of children and strangers and I tell people she can bite. At least the other two are like cats. I have been bitten by a dog hence the scar on my left arm, and that's after an operation!! But I did not want a skin graph from my butt put in my arm so now I live with a scar and a story. Sorry for the winded message, I just feel strongly about this too. I DO NOT LIKE PITS!!!! Fuck the people that say I am biased against a breed, Labs don't kill people.

Sarah Alway said...

Ha ha, no worries, I definitely expected some comments from all you "dog people" out there!

Anonymous said...

I think it's funny I am labeled.

Sarah Alway said...

Well it's really not that hard.

Owns a dog = dog person
Owns a cat = cat person
Owns both = animal person

See? ;-)

ReadyToShelve said...

I don't trust those crazy bitches either! :)

A dog can be a crazy attacking machine until you pop him in the nose. Then he's like, "Wow, that hurt. Hey man, I'm just playing around. I'll go outside now. You got a frisbee?"

Anonymous said...

Yes I see. I am an animal lover! Hope to see you soon!!

Jamielee said...

I cant not believe this happened! It is horrible. I own both, but I am still a cat person. I only love my cat, Gunniess. He is like my other baby. I think I miss him more then Clint when I am gone. The dog Cy (Pembroke Welsh Corgi)is still new so maybe I will be an animal person in time. If I was not married and had a little one I would be the carzy cat lady with 10 cats believe me.