Monday, August 27, 2007

Mayfield Lake Camping Trip

Last weekend was round 2 of camping trips with Stewart and his friends. Matt and I headed South to meet up with Stewart (who had left earlier that morning) at Mayfield Lake in Mossyrock, WA. The traffic was horrible and we didn’t arrive until about 6 p.m.

Brett, Stewart, Crystal and several other people were already trashed and having a great time in the boat surfing, wakeboarding and tubing. We quickly jumped in and took off. Mayfield Lake is absolutely gorgeous. There is a river leading off the lake that is lined with rock cliffs covered with green trees and vines. Brett steered the boat down this little corridor until we reached the “perfect spot” to put up a rope swing. After several of the guys monkey-climbed a tree to secure the rope, it was all set. At Stewart’s urging I climbed up to the top and stood there looking down. Peer pressure finally convinced me to swing out over the water, and it was totally worth it! Until I hit the freezing cold water, that is.

To top off my bravery on the rope swing, next we headed for cliff jumping! I know you won’t believe it, but I climbed up the rock face and jumped off the cliff. And this was no ordinary jump – not only was it super high, but I had to take a running start in order to clear some bushes and rocks on the way down. I definitely didn’t try Stewart’s back flip, but at least I jumped, and was the only girl to do so the whole weekend.

The rest of the weekend consisted of camping 101. We ate fantastic dinners prepared by Brett’s mom in their motor home that is bigger than my apartment. We sat on the beach reading magazines. The boys took turns wake surfing and wakeboarding (I never did get back in the water after the first day since the sun never came out again, although it didn’t rain much). We sat around the campfire each night drinking beer and telling stories and jokes until 3 a.m. We went for a boat ride all the way up the river, just for something to do. We never did roast marshmallows, but I’ve never been big on that anyway.

Despite the weather I still had a really good time. I’m having a blast hanging out with Stewart and hope that next weekend at Evan’s cabin in Sunland will be just as much fun – and that the sun will shine down on us, for once!

(Once again, no pictures because I don’t have a camera. Still hoping someone will email me some pics, stay tuned!)

0 comments: