Monday, July 20, 2009

I’m Just A Girl

When you live with your boyfriend, I think it becomes fairly easy to get stuck in the routine of spending every waking moment with that person, thereby neglecting one’s same-sex friendships. Luckily my boyfriend is a firefighter, so he works shifts, which means I get every third night all to myself. I’m not at all saying I don’t miss him when he’s not around… but I think sometimes missing someone reminds you to appreciate them more.

I try to take advantage of these solo moments in life to spend time with my girlfriends. And whether it’s dressing up for a night on the town or dressing down to attend a rad outdoor concert, the result is always the same: Girls Night Out = Fabulous.

Since Stewart was working Sunday night and one of my favorite old school bands was in town, some of my friends and I snagged tickets to the No Doubt featuring Paramore concert at the White River Amphitheater near Enumclaw, WA. Conveniently, this just happens to be my friend’s home town, so we had a place to spend the afternoon before heading to the concert.

I had never been to Enumclaw before, but it is the country, my friend. We spent the afternoon lounging in the sun at my friend’s childhood casa, drinking wine, eating snacks and listening to the sounds of farm animals while breathing in the fresh air and trying not to gag on the stench of poo. Honestly though, it was super relaxing, and I never realize quite how loud the city is until I go someplace so darn quiet. Oh, except for the cow that was giving birth.

We even spent some time hanging out in my friend’s childhood bedroom, which has been completely preserved with pink rose wallpaper and high school dance photos plastering the walls. Of course this prompted an incredibly high school girly conversation regarding sex and how our lives have changed from then to now. Too funny.

The concert was amazing. I’ve heard that Paramore is incredible live and I definitely was not disappointed. And of course No Doubt was freaking fantastic. I’ve loved this band since I first heard the “I’m Just A Girl” single back in middle school. I wasn’t surprised to find out that I still knew every single word to most of the songs. And we didn’t feel silly at all bouncing up and down with the neon-clad high school girls who surrounded us.

I just love me a night out with the girls.

5 comments:

Stevie said...

I absolutely LOVE No Doubt (and I have a massive girl crush on Gwen Stefani :-)). I sooooo wish I could've gone to that concert. But I did see Death Cab and Counting Crows at Marymoor Park, which was pretty sweet, too.

Anonymous said...

LOVE doesn't even describe the way i feel about NO Doubt and Paramore sooo jealous.

girlfriends are so important i have known people who have totally stopped talking to their girlfriends when they move with their boyfriends and its always unfortunate.

so good on you for making the effort to stay connected to those closest to you:)

Bayjb said...

YAY! I love No Doubt. I saw them in Chicago and LOVED the show. I want to see them again so bad.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like lots of fun!

Sarah Alway said...

Stevie - I totally have a girl crush on Gwen, too. She's such a badass! I wanted to see Death Cab but didn't make it, heard the show was rad though!

Miss Rambles - Paramore with No Doubt was the perfect combination. And I definitely agree... sometimes it takes effort, but it's SO important to stay in touch with girlfriends even as life circumstances change. :-)

Bayjb - I know, I was so excited when I found out they were touring. We actually got lawn seats for only $10 and had a great view!

Peterdewolf - Too much fun!