Wednesday, July 22, 2009

My Tummy Hurts

I almost always have a tummy ache. Always. I constantly carry Imodium and Pepto Bismol in my purse. I thought this was normal. But apparently, the average person does not always double over with cramping stomach pains after every other meal. I feel like I’ve tried everything… blood tests to detect wheat and gluten allergies came back negative. I am not lactose intolerant and cutting out red meat hasn’t made a difference. I’ve tracked my eating habits for weeks in an attempt to identify the culprit… nothing.

My mom says I’ve been like this since I was a kid. I’ve just always had a weak stomach. And I’m so used to the war raging in my belly that it almost seems normal. But last weekend I was talking to a girl who said she had similar problems, but had begun going to a nutritionist and it absolutely changed her life. So I did some Yelp.com research, selected a nutritionist I liked, and made a consultation appointment.

This is the first time I’ve ever explored an option like this, and I’m curious about what results I will see. I always thought seeing a nutritionist would be expensive, but it’s completely covered by insurance with a referral from my regular doctor. The certified nutritionist I am seeing is also a registered mental health counselor, so she also specializes in behavioral change and lifestyle integration, chronic stress, fatigue and anxiety. I definitely won’t say no to a little help in those areas, as well!

Sure, it all seems just a little bit hippie, but I’m willing to try anything at this point. So far I am already on three supplements: peppermint capsules, fish oil, and probiotics. These are just to start, and then others will be added in (I currently don’t take any type of vitamins so I'm hoping for positive changes). I am determined to somehow become a healthy person! And if fish oil is what it takes, so be it. Burp.

6 comments:

Stevie said...

I love talking about nutrition. I took a lot of biology and nutrition classes in college and it's a subject that has always fascinated me. I'm curious to see what your nutritionist has to say!

Alyssa said...

i dont think nutritionists are hippie like at all. i personally havent seen one but i have heard of alot of miracle stories from them.

Hope it works for you, constant stomach cramps would be awful!

Cailin said...

They finally figured out what was wrong with Clint's stomach. Turns out he has an intolerance to high fructose corn syrup. HFCS might be the culprit in your situation too. Unfortunately, it is in almost all processed foods, but the best things to cut out from the very beginning are soda and candy. Then, be sure to check labels. A lot of companies are coming out with HFCS-free foods. He has to be really careful with BBQ sauce, which he loves, and all beverages. He pretty much just drinks water nowadays. Good luck, babe!

Mara said...

A personal life-style counselor and dietitian, you're like a movie star. lol

Anonymous said...

hahahaha i love MJ's comment!

nutritionists are not too hippy and am part timing at a holistic centre and all of tht stuff really does hve a positive impact on people's lives, you jst hve to be open to it.

i really hope that this works out for you:)

Unknown said...

I've heard if you freeze your fish oil caps you won't get that fishy burp. I haven't tried it though. Good luck!