Monday, July 13, 2009

Wedding Guest

When it comes to weddings, sometimes it’s great to be nothing more than a guest. Stewart’s childhood buddy got married to his college sweetheart this weekend, and I was lucky enough to be invited to all of the festivities. We started out with a beautiful rooftop rehearsal dinner on Thursday evening, followed by a night out at the bars. Friday night featured a Mariner’s game with the whole crew that ended sometime after 2am at a karaoke joint… nice. Let’s just say that by the time the actual wedding rolled around on Saturday at 5pm, I was feeling a little under the weather.

But once I arrived at the Seattle Yacht Club for the big event, it was easy to forget about everything except the fabulous couple and their new marriage. The outdoor ceremony was short and sweet, and followed immediately by cocktail hour on the lawn. Dinner was served promptly and after a couple quick speeches everyone was moved inside to get the party started. I like their style.

You really can’t beat great food and drinks (open bar!) followed by music and dancing. It was one of those weddings where almost every single guest immediately hit the dance floor and stayed there (except for quick trips to the bar, of course). The past couple days had given me the chance to meet and form friendships with a bunch of great new people, and by the end of the night I felt like they were all my new BFFs.
Also, unlike bridesmaids, groomsmen have very little responsibilities when it comes to weddings. So for Stew and I it was basically just an excuse to get dressed up and go out dancing. We stayed until the bitter end, begging the DJ for “just one more song” several times before moving the party to our place.

Wow. I haven’t had this many days of nonstop excitement for a long time. My only hope is that my friends and family will have this much fun when my wedding day finally rolls around. But don’t hold your breath… for now I am definitely content to simply be a guest!

7 comments:

Amber said...

Looks fun, LOVE your dress!!

Mara said...

You look beautiful...Hope you didn't show the bride up! LOL

Sarah Alway said...

Thank you! The bride was definitely the star of the show though. She was breath taking!

Anonymous said...

omg love your dress!you looked so beautiful!

congrats to the newly weds!

Sarah Alway said...

Miss Rambles - Thank you! I have received SO many compliments on that dress, and it's actually something I just picked up at the last second on sale at Macy's! ;-)

Mandy Kay said...

could not agree more! i've been in so many weddings, it's so nice to just be able to sit back and attend with no worries, except for maybe which type of beer you're going to drink next!

ps, i'm OBSESSED with My So Called Life. i could've sworn the show was written about my life back when it was on!! love it! xo

Sarah Alway said...

Mandy Kay - I am obsessed with that show, too! I own the entire series on DVD and I watch it all the time. So sad it was only on for one season...