Friday, October 13, 2006

Gallery Opening

One of the perks of my new job is that we throw large, extravagant, expensive parties all the time. I’ve experienced a couple these events before, but last night was my first time attending as an employee.

Of course since I have no boyfriend I invited Jeanna, who is quickly becoming a fabulous stand-in. Who needs relationship drama when you can go out and get drunk with your girlfriends, right?

Gallery is one of those luxury downtown condominiums that my company markets. Even though the Belltown project currently only consists of a hole in the ground on the corner of Second & Broad, yesterday marked the opening of the sales center, which is basically a mini-condo where agents can take prospective buyers to convince them that a condo at Gallery is a must-have purchase.

Gallery takes an interesting approach at selling condos, by marketing four distinct homes/lifestyles:

Minimalist
“When your motto is less is more. The look is cool, calm, collected. With a place for everything and everything in its place.”

Modernist
“Current, confident, yet classic describes the Modernist. Warmer woods, soothing shapes and calmer colors define this palette, a contemporary expression of traditional good taste that never goes out of style.”

Expressionist
“For those who have something to say, and aren’t afraid to say it, the Expressionist palette is a bold statement, featuring strong tones and clean lines.”

Individualist
When you can’t be defined by just one style, make your own. Put the Eames chair next to the Barry sofa, and fuchsia paint on the wall. Gallery offers a multitude of options to help you create your own work of art – your home.”

Basically, Gallery’s theme is Life = Art, a concept they tried to promote at the party. The rooms themselves were works of art, filled with beautiful, perfectly matched furniture, paintings and photographs. I felt like I had stepped into another world. This combined with the dazzling array of beautiful people was almost sensory overload. I’ve never seen so many of Seattle’s finest in one place at one time! Everywhere I looked was a gorgeous man in a suit, or a beautiful woman dressed in designer everything. This was definitely a world I could learn to love.

Jeanna and I made ourselves at home by hitting the bar. Alpine Martinis, which consisted of Absolut Citron and mint sorbet topped with pine sprigs. It was a little strong for me, and after wandering around for a while drinking and socializing with my co-workers, I switched to wine. We basically spent the rest of the evening people watching, eating fancy hors d'oeuvres and drinking. At one point we ventured outside onto the streets of Belltown and were rewarded by a rapping homeless man. Since he performed, I gave him a dollar.

I hadn’t meant to spend the entire evening at a work event, but all of the sudden Jeanna and I looked around and realized that not only were we basically the only ones left at the party, but we were more than a little tipsy. It was time to go. Normally I wouldn’t be at all interested in going out in lower Queen Anne on a week night, but since I already had a buzz going it didn’t take long for Jeanna to convince me we should go to Pesos.

A few hours, a couple bars and one creepy new friend later, it was time to head home. I woke up this morning with a headache and a smile. I love my new job. Cheers!

0 comments: