Wednesday, October 25, 2006

WWU Reunion

Following my Middle Eastern cultural experience, we headed out for a Saturday night on the town. Jeanna and I traveled to Ballard with Tre and Kyle for a little pre-funkage before meeting Vanessa, Mike and Eddie at a Ballard hot spot. Then we headed to Fremont, where some people I knew from college were hanging out. However, Tre and Jeanna had other ideas, and wanted to head up north to meet Tre’s sister. As soon as Kyle described the “dive bar” that was their destination, I knew I wanted to pass on that idea. Ignoring the group’s forceful demands that I tag along, I eventually had to climb out Jeanna’s sunroof to escape the journey, and headed to the Triangle.


Once inside the bar, it immediately became clear that I had hours of catching up to do. My ex boyfriend Alex was completely hammered, along with all of his friends. It was so great to see them all! It had been at least two or three years since I had seen Bart and Nichole, who are now married. And I hadn’t seen Kelly since a drunken encounter at Kell’s about six months ago, where it had been way to loud to really catch up. And of course the rest of the “crew” was there: Josh, Tyrell, Casey, Eric, et al – Basically the entire WWU rowing team from 2000-2004. I forgot how much I’ve missed them! You tend to lose touch with these types of mutual friends after a breakup; it’s inevitable.
But they’re a great group of guys.
A DRUNK group of guys. Although Alex desperately needed to be cut off, he continued to order drink after drink. He was visiting from Reno, where he moved about a year ago, and was in the mood to do more than a little celebrating at being reunited in Seattle with his buddies. What could I do? I wanted to help (and hopefully avoid Alex being kicked out of the bar on his ass) so as soon as his back was turned I helpfully downed whatever drink he had most recently ordered. Ha. Free drinks for Sarah, and a little unknown sobering up for Alex.

The night ended up being really great – it’s always fun to hang out with old friends, and a good feeling to know you and your ex can move past all the dumb bullshit and just be friends. Of course it usually takes a little alcohol to get the ball rolling, but there’s nothing wrong with that!

0 comments: