Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Straight up, now tell me... is this necessary?

I think today’s mass media has gotten completely out of control. When I go to The Seattle Times online each morning, I just want to quickly scan the headlines, see what’s going on in the world, etc. So is it really necessary for the AP wire to have as one of its top stories: Paula Abdul breaks nose in dog mishap? Of course, out of pure curiosity, I clicked the link, thinking another vicious breed of dog had probably gone mad and attacked a former super star. I should have known the story would be nowhere near that exciting. Paula simply tripped while trying to avoid stepping on her Chihuahua. But not to worry, despite bumps and bruises, Paula will still appear on American Idol tonight and its season finale Wednesday. Well, thank the Lord.

Are we honestly calling this type of thing news-worthy? I am currently disgusted by journalism. Save that crap for the gossip and tabloid sites, don’t put it ABOVE the story about the U.N. relief convoy hit in Lebanon battle. That’s just embarrassing.

I prefer to catch up on my celebrity gossip in the afternoon, and now my schedule is all out of whack. I’m off to browse a real news Web site.

0 comments: