Friday, May 25, 2007

Sunland

Yes, boys and girls… it’s that time again: Memorial Day Weekend at the Gorge. Although I’m not going to Sasquatch Festival this year (the Beastie Boys and Bjork didn’t quite do it for me) I can still guarantee that I will be basking in the sun all weekend clutching a drink like my life depends on it.

This year I was lucky enough to be invited my friend Evan’s cabin in Sunland, an adorable little vacation community on the Columbia River just south of the Gorge and a few miles north of Vantage. I decided to bring along some of my best girlfriends, so I know I am once again in for the time of my life. Not only does Evan’s Sunland cabin come equipped with a giant grass lawn perfect for volleyball, croquet or pitching tents once the cabin is full, there are also tennis courts, a pool, and grassy fields that lead right down to the water. And if you’re lucky enough to have two friends with a shiny new boat… well, your life is pretty much complete.

Tucked in the cliffs about 10 miles north of Vantage is a little paradise that Seattleites have grown to worship – The Sand Bar. It’s the perfect place to get away from city life, where just a quick boat ride delivers you onto the sandy beaches of what can only be described as Utopia. A place where the booze flows like water, the men are half naked, everyone dances in a state of euphoria, and hours pass like minutes as boats rock girls in bikinis to sleep in the sun. The haven has even become popular enough for its own MySpace page. And according to the Web site, “What happens in Crescent Bar… stays in Crescent Bar.” Sweeter words have never been uttered.

See you guys Monday. And I would prefer that no questions are asked about unexplained bruises, loss of memory or possessions, etc. Happy Memorial Day! Party like a rock star…

0 comments: