Saturday, July 07, 2007

Happy Fourth of July!

Historically, July 4 is a federal holiday commemorating the adoption of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776, declaring independence from the Kingdom of Great Britain. Why, then, was it so funny that as the fireworks started Jeanna broke out in her own patriotic rendition of “God Bless America”? Probably because the fourth of July has more recently been associated with fireworks, parades, BBQs, picnics, baseball games… nothing that really has to do with celebrating our independence, at least in a direct way. So I’d like to take a moment to thank Jeanna for reminding us how important our independence really is. I mean, we are completely free to take a mid-week day off from work just to drink beer with our friends! Now that is something to celebrate!
By noon on 7.4.07 Stewart and I were already headed to the boat launch (case of Bud Light in hand) to meet Tara, Winston, Carrie, Evan and Lars. We quickly jumped in, cracked a beer and headed out across the glorious blue water. The temperature had already reached a quite toasty 85 degrees. We dropped anchor in Juanita Bay surrounded by other boats filled with people celebrating with music and beer. I must admit I felt like I had somehow recaptured the feeling of the Sand Dunes, though on a much smaller scale.
For the next several hours I considered myself in a little piece of Heaven… out on the water in a bikini, basking in hot sunshine, with a cold beer in my hand, hanging out with great friends and one super hot guy. The sun, beer and water seemed to make people a little crazy. As the afternoon dragged on there were shot gunned beers, body shots, girls making out, and hanging upside down from the tower before we headed back inland.

Back in the city, Stewart and I arrived at Elliott Bay Plaza to meet up with Jeanna, Amanda, Brett, Angie and several other people. I was immediately handed a mixed drink, and after finishing it we headed down to lounge by the pool with more beers. Finally, we went up to the rooftop deck for the Elliott Bay fireworks. At this point I was really starting to feel the effects of all the alcohol I had been drinking for almost 12 hours. However, the fireworks display was pretty sweet, and it was at this point Jeanna broke out in song, which reminded me that we were in fact actually supposed to be celebrating something other than having a summer day off work.

Of course I think it’s important to celebrate and or / commemorate important days in history. And toasting with friends is a fantastic way to do it! I think John Adams got it about half correct when he said, “[It] will be the most memorable epoch in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more.”
Pretty good, although I don’t think solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty were practiced anywhere in the greater Seattle area this year. Maybe next time. Happy Fourth of July!

0 comments: