Thursday, July 05, 2007

Out of Touch

Sometime last week, I came home slightly buzzed. I poured myself a glass of water and set it on my bedside table before pouring myself into bed. I awoke sometime hours later to a crash. My stupid cat had knocked over the glass, and a waterfall had gone across the table and dripped down and was pooling on the floor.

In my half-zombied state, I grabbed a bath towel, threw it on the puddle, took my cell phone out of the standing water and tossed it on my desk, screamed at poor Jasmine, calling her something along the lines of a cunt, and rolled back over to pass out.

The next morning, I noticed that my cell phone was now missing the battery indicator on the display window. Strange, but it was still working fine. However, when I came home from work Tuesday night, the phone was unable to charge. I tried another charger. Nothing. Now this was a fairly big conundrum. I could not be without a cell phone on the Fourth of July! I rushed to the closest Verizon Wireless store and arrived 5 minutes before closing.

Apparently, those tech nerds can tell if you get your phone wet – something changes color on the battery. And since I have no insurance, I was basically shit out of luck. Unless I wanted to pay $150 for their “cheapest” model phone – full price if I was not renewing my contract, which is good through October. Awesome.

I headed home distressed and perplexed. Luckily, I have since been able to borrow a temporary replacement phone from a friend. But all my phone numbers and contacts? Gone. Pictures? Gone. Ring tones? Gone. Super annoying.

Anyway, if you don’t hear from me and you usually do, it’s because I don’t have your number anymore. Please call or text it to me sometime soon. Thanks!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's why you ate Jazzy, sad for her.

Sarah Alway said...

I assume you mean "hate" Jazzy? No, I did not eat my cat.

ReadyToShelve said...

"Apparently, those assholes can tell if you get your phone wet – something changes color on the battery."

LOL What gives these assholes the right to ask if I drove into a tree? Just fix my engine! Don't be asking about the branches stuck in the grill!

"And since I have no insurance, I was basically shit out of luck."

Insurance? Verizon offers phone insurance? As in, pay us now so you won't have to pay us later, but make no mistake, eventually you WILL have to give us more money?

I'm telling you, Verizon will collapse if just one company takes a common-sense approach. Something along the lines of 'Stuff happens, here's a free replacement phone, thank you for choosing Apple.'