Sunday, July 15, 2007

There Goes the Neighborhood

Earlier this week while walking to my bus stop on Third Avenue
between Pine and Pike Streets after work, I was actually able to ignore most of the cat calling and bum change requests. Why? I was too busy staring numbly at some insane woman being dragged down the sidewalk kicking and screaming obscenities at the two policemen restraining her. She spent about three minutes with her lower half sticking out of the back of the police cruiser, her pants around her ankles. She kicked her legs and writhed her body in an attempt to escape the handcuffs, shrieking at the top of her lungs. God I love downtown Seattle.

Although it’s a well-known retail district, walking outside in this neighborhood means wading through crowds of kids wearing baggy clothes who look like they belong in prison – or at least school. Even in broad daylight, drug dealers seem to be doing their business, passing cash to one another. The shoppers and commuters give criminals a chance to blend in, I guess.

Just last week the Seattle Post-Intelligencer reported a fatal shooting at Third Avenue and Pine Street - the Olympic Tower is on the same corner, the building I work in. One night last month a man visiting from Los Angeles was attacked by 20 people while he walked home. Granted, these crimes took place late at night, but it can't mean good things for the neighborhood as a whole. And this is a place where I have to go to work every day.

A recent controversy over Seattle Police Department accountability, which started over a minor drug bust in January, has many residents concerned that officers might not aggressively fight crime in fear of disapproval. The P-I article addresses the concern that too much publicity hinders officers’ ability to enforce the law. In this case, a civilian panel that watchdogs the department wrote a report criticizing the chief’s involvement in the internal investigation of the bust. With this type of interference and bad press, it’s no wonder that cops think twice before getting involved.

One police officer says, “It used to be that when you saw these thugs on the corners, we’d move them along.” Commanders try to keep uniformed officers visible when possible, but I would say from my bus stop vantage point I only see them about once a week. I do, however, see fights, drug deals, prostitutes and drunk minors every single day.

When the downtown bus tunnel closed for construction in 2005 and moved more buses onto Third Avenue, the number of youths and drug dealers hanging out there increased, the article claims. But there apparently isn’t much officers can do about people hanging out at bus stops. However, the highest number of 911 calls reporting drug dealing – 744 calls in 2006 – were from the downtown area that includes Westlake Park in the downtown core.

OK, I realize there are a lot of problems and only so many officers to deal with them. But whenever I do see cops downtown, it’s more likely than not a group of bike cops chatting with each other and joking with a drunk homeless man or notorious drug dealer. Is this really our tax dollars hard at work?

You’d think that with a recent homicide right outside my building I would be afraid to even walk outside to catch the bus. But somehow I have apparently become numb. I ignore the cat calling, the requests for change. I barely notice a loud fight breaking out right behind me. I don’t hold my purse as tightly as I should while I obliviously chat on my cell phone. Have we all just accepted criminal activity as a basic way of life in the city? Is it ok that police officers are afraid to do anything except hope their passive presence will scare the drug and crime problems away? It’s interesting to think about what someone can get used to, and accept as normal.

4 comments:

Jeanna said...

There's much more history behind this than you've researched. The SPD have done a number of sheisty things lately that the SPD Cheif, Gil Kerlikowske, has sort of shuffled off and cleaned up. So much that they're talking about his resignation. Recently, Seattle police assaulted three innocent black men--prominent hip hop djs and artists, actually. So, they've been accused of racial profiling. The "minor drug bust" refers to when they assaulted and targeted a previously convicted drug dealer in a wheelchair by planting drugs on him. Their police report didn't match surveillance cameras, and it was cleaned up and dismissed by the chief, therefore the reason behind their lack in credibility lately.

"With this type of interference and bad press, it’s no wonder that cops think twice before getting involved."--

There's a reason for this bad press and interference. The SPD has been conducting themselves in a manner as of late that isn't exactly dripping of integrity. It's been a source of contention across Seattle blogs for the last month... Slog has tons of articles on it, in addition to Seattlest.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003753495_kerlikowske19m.html
http://seattlest.com/2007/06/19/police_chief_accused_of_something.php

From The Stranger, regarding the drug bust:

"Specifically, the report, first detailed by the Seattle Times, says Kerlikowske interfered in OPA's (Office of Professional Accountability) police oversight process. OPA had been investigating George Patterson's allegations that SPD officers Gregory Neubert and Michael Tietjen used excessive force and planted drugs on him during a January 2 arrest in downtown Seattle ["Raw Deal," Jonah Spangenthal-Lee, June 7]. According to OPARB's report, "OPA appeared to be on a path to sustaining [a] more serious allegation" against the officers when Kerlikowske directed an OPA investigator to obtain testimony from a woman who admitted to being intoxicated at the scene of Patterson's arrest and was released from jail on the condition that she would give a statement to OPA. The woman's testimony was used to discredit Patterson, and the chief publicly exonerated the officers in April, a month before Neil Low, OPA's acting director, signed off on the investigation.

During OPARB's investigation, Holmes and Moericke found clear evidence that the chief had interfered in the OPA process."

Anyway, there's been lots of stuff out there about this. I think you raise an interesting point about being numb to the happenings downtown cause I am too, but the problem doesn't continue because police are reluctant to bust people in the aftermath of "unfair reporting." It might have something to do with them being cautious to actually play by the rules. So, I think the real problem is the rules have all sorts of loopholes. Such as, officers actually aren't allowed to arrest anybody or take action unless it's done right in front of their face and they witness it. It's pretty easy to skirt around the police and hide down an alley... and they can't really do anything about "suspicious characters wearing baggy clothes" unless these characters are actually doing something wrong...

It's interesting, to say the least.

Anonymous said...

Sounds scary...and I thought it was bad walking home alone at night in Bellingham!! Sorry if I left this comment twice, i'm having some technical issues. Be safe, hope you start carrying your 9 mm around with you, or at least have pepper spray!

-Rachael

Rachael said...

Ok so I know I already left a comment on this one but I don't know how else to send you a message. I just wanted to let you know I made a blog page, whoo-hoo!! There's only one blog so far and its not very juicy...and there's no pics yet. :( I don't even know the URL, I forgot it already but I'll let you know!

Anonymous said...

This is scary, I just hope and pray you are never around this!