Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The Weight of a Friendship

So all I’ve been reading about / hearing in the news for the past 48 hours is “If your friends are fat, chances are you’re fat, too.”

Obesity is spreading like the flu. A new study has suggested that obesity is “socially contagious.” Basically, if I have a friend who is obese, my chances of joining her raise by 57 percent, even if she lives all the way across the country! Does this mean if Cailin gets knocked up I’m going to turn into a cow, too?

The large, federally funded study found that it’s more than just people with similar eating and exercise habits hanging out together. Apparently, the subtle transmission of behaviors or social norms can alter a person’s perception of what is an acceptable weight.

Although people who are related or living in the same house are also at risk, researchers found that the greatest influence occurred among friends. On average, when an obese person gained 17 pounds the friend put on an extra 5 pounds. The occurrence of weight gain goes up in same-sex friendships. This is apparently different than the physical response that occurs when women spend so much time together that they begin to menstruate on the same cycle.

Since approximately two thirds of Americans are either overweight or obese, I think it’s fantastic that researchers are attempting to examine all the possible reasons why, and then hopefully seek solutions. For example, this study might suggest that it would be more helpful to treat obesity in groups instead of just the individual.

It does make sense though… if you’re a little bit overweight, but the people around you are heavier than you, it’s easier to justify your own habits. But let’s face it… you’re always going to come across someone thinner at some point or another, and end up feeling bad for yourself anyway.


Lucky for me, the vast majority of my friends are at least somewhat health-conscious. But I still think everyone needs to know what is a healthy weight for their body and take steps to maintain that weight. Which is exactly why today after work I became a member of Rain Fitness! I had never been inside the gym before, but I was really impressed with the facility. However, the main reason I chose this gym was that they have more than 20 classes including “Booty Call,” “Cardio Funk,” and “Striptease” that are all included in the membership. A few months of this plus SBD Phase 1 and I should be in excellent shape!

And think about it… this means I won’t have any socially contagious obesity to rub off on you, so our friendship can continue! A definite plus, besides how great I am going to feel.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I looked like you now I would be happy! You are too cute!