Sunday, July 08, 2007

LIVE EARTH

On Saturday evening, comfortably molded into Stewart’s leather couch in front of his huge flat screen, I can’t tell you how shocked I was to discover the 07.07.07 Live Earth concerts. How is it possible I had not heard about this event??

Music fans and environmentalists around the world came together for this concert to raise awareness and funds for the global climate crisis. Spearheaded by Al Gore, Live Earth hoped to reach up to 2 billion people through radio, television and the Internet with headliners such as The Police, Bon Jovi and Lenny Kravitz. Since I didn’t even find out about this amazing concert until it was almost over, what is the problem here? Even though I rarely watch TV or listen to the radio, I do use the internet for at least 8 hours a day. So I blame bad marketing. If I wouldn’t have stumbled upon the televised concert by accident, I may never have known it happened. Not good.

Live Earth – Concerts for a Climate in Crisis – really was a historic event. The 24-hour, 7-continent concert series brought together more than two billion people to trigger a global movement to solve the climate crisis. It also marked the beginning of a multi-year campaign to drive individuals, corporations and governments to take action to solve global warming.

Completely brilliant. Using the global outreach of music to promote a really important cause. Still, I can’t fathom why I didn’t learn about this event beforehand. Regardless, I’m glad I got to watch a few hours of the concerts, and I even took the time today to register on the Web site. Even registering shows how small things can really make a difference. You get to choose pledges such as “I will ride public transit or carpool one or more times per week,” “I will shut off my equipment and lights whenever I’m not using them,” or “I will forward a Live Earth email message to 5 friends.”

So this is me, doing my part. I’m sure the rest of you brilliant and environmentally conscious music fans already knew about and watched the concerts, but in case you didn’t…

Answer the Call: Make a commitment and sign the Live Earth pledge.

6 comments:

Jeanna said...

it doesn't surprise me. you rarely know about current events i talk about. maybe you should read Seattle Times, The Stranger, or other media outlets online during your 8 hours online instead of frivolous blog sites of your friends, Facebook, MySpace, etc.
;)

Sarah Alway said...

Definitely. I just deleted your blog from my daily radar.

Jeanna said...

meh. one less creep voyeuring into my daily life.

Anonymous said...

I like reading both your blogs. Since I don't see you it keeps me up to date on your wonderful lives. And there are always great drinking escapades to read about WITH pictures! Sometimes your blogs make my day.
Live Earth was an amazing creation and went wonderful. Why is Gore not running for President? ITMFA!!!!!

ReadyToShelve said...

Don't worry Sarah, I had no idea they were happening until Sunday night. As far as I can tell there was no advance advertising, just "hey, day after tomorrow THIS is happening!"

Bri3636 said...

Oh Man! I work for MSN in advertising and we were one of the major sponsors so I guess I will take partial responsibility for dropping the ball :) Great event, fantastic cause! SOS - answer the call!