Friday, March 07, 2008

Dear Seattle

Dear Seattle,

This weekend will mark our three-year anniversary.

For years I admired you from afar, catching glimpses of you here and there. When we officially met a few years ago when I moved to the city, my childhood infatuation immediately turned into true, undying love. It was meant to be.

But, dear Seattle, I can no longer endure our relationship or the direction it is headed. Things need to change. In the beginning you embraced me with open arms. You introduced me to new friends, provided me with new experiences and expanded my horizons with an overwhelming abundance of opportunities. I was enchanted, and felt that I could really make a serious commitment to you.

Even when your rising cost of living caused an alarming increase in my rent last year, I didn’t complain – I’m used to your lavish lifestyle expectations. I adjusted my living situation to accommodate you. You forced me to pay more than $300 for my car registration – and then went back on your promise to build an extended Monorail. I tried to understand that sometimes these things happen. From my office, I witnessed a shooting right outside on your streets. I just gritted my teeth and thought, “Hey, no one’s perfect.”

But I cannot continue to make excuses for you, Seattle. You have gone from simply not caring about my feelings or how things affect me to being completely abusive. Frankly, you’ve started to disgust me. Your filthy streets leak revolting, foul-smelling steam from its drains. Homeless panhandlers shove signs and repellent tattered cups in my face as I attempt to avoid them on the sidewalk. Then they screech obscenities at me as I walk away. What did I do to deserve this type of treatment?

As I walk down the street, I often have to sidestep or risk getting hit with spit, a snot rocket or a carelessly tossed cigarette butt. I would say you don’t even bother to pay the slightest bit of attention to me, but in fact as I often innocently make my way to work or the bus stop, I am literally harassed with degrading cat calls: “Hey girl, how you doin’?” and “Has anyone stopped to tell you you’re beautiful today?” and “Hey honey, can I buy you a cheeseburger?” and “Damn girl, you so fine!” How can you speak to me in such a derogatory manner?

Even the Mounties you’ve provided to try and keep things clean and safe downtown have literally started to shit all over it. You don’t even bother to pick up after them. Your police officers lean against buildings chatting while across the street I can clearly see the buying and selling of drugs. You don’t seem to care, not even realizing how upset it makes me to see my hard-earned tax dollars pay for this so-called “protection” you claim to provide.

Honestly, what have you done for me lately? If you think teasing me with a bit of sunshine for a few days is going to make things better, you’re wrong. Right now I just don’t see a future for us. My salary has not increased significantly in over a year, and with the rising costs of homes I will never be able to afford to stay here permanently.

Seattle, I love you with all my heart and soul. But I don’t have to like you right now. There are so many amazing attributes about you that I know I will never find anywhere else. But I can only take so much. Please, Seattle, let’s try to make this work.

Hopefully,

Sarah

3 comments:

Jeanna said...

Time to move to Ferndale with Stew!

JB Bonifacio said...

Hello, Sarah. This is your old mate, Seattle .

I just like to say the following:

Sarah, I too know what it feels like to have my feelings go unwarranted. I too feel I've been complacent. Don't leave me for my cousins, Bellevue or Everett.

Good times lie in wait.......lol.

Anonymous said...

It's hard to see but we are much cleaner than our friend Portland, and things are mighty cheaper than California. You work in an area of downtown that had been over taken with bums, that is sad. I do have to say our police dept. is one of the worst EVER I have seen. IF you are bleeding don't call them, they might have to leave a Starfucks and come help you. Do you know how much they get paid? a little over $4,000 a month. Our mayor is a fay yellow belly and the chief is a push over. I still love you Seattle, if I can make it off $1200 a month anyone can----jenny