Friday, March 14, 2008

It's About That Time...

With a trip to Vegas, Memorial Day weekend and summer looming on the horizon, I’ve really been trying to lead a healthier lifestyle. I’ve had some great workouts this week and have planned out my meals to be extra healthy (I actually made some amazing tortilla-less fajitas). Last night I read (cover to cover) my April Fitness Magazine, and one of the articles once again reiterated the obvious: breakfast is one of the most essential meals of the day. I know, I know. But I’ve never been a breakfast person, and eating my first meal of the day at 1 p.m. has always worked out fine for me. But I guess if this really is going to boost my metabolism and help whip me into shape, I can start forcing breakfast down my throat every morning. The article recommended three easy breakfasts to rotate during the week, one being yogurt with a ½ cup of fruit and sliced almonds. I didn’t have time to go to the store last night to prepare for this breakfast, so when I stopped at Starbucks this morning with some co-workers, I threw one of their yogurt parfaits down next to my grande skinny sugar free vanilla latte. Feeling very pleased with myself for beginning my new routine so quickly, I might add. Until I looked at the nutrition facts. WTF?!? One little yogurt parfait contained 37 grams of sugar! I might as well have gotten myself a stack of Krispy Kremes. Of course I ate it anyway, and it was scrumptious. But next time I really need to plan ahead.

In other health news, I recently went to the doctor for my annual exam. Even though I knew it probably wasn’t necessary, I went ahead and told him to do the full range of STD testing. (Just for good measure… Stewart and I have been together for almost a year, so…) Anyway, I got my results in the mail yesterday. “Your HIV, Hepatitis B and C, gonorrhea, Chlamydia, and herpes tests all came back negative.” And I really did expect nothing to the contrary. But for some reason I found myself breathing a ridiculously huge sigh of relief. Why are those tests always so mind numbingly scary? In any event, I’m glad it’s over with. Oh, but the doc did note that I am suffering from a vitamin D deficiency and need to start taking a supplement. Good thing in less than I month I will be soaking up rays in Vegas! (And hopefully, due to a healthy lifestyle between now and then, lookin’ damn good doing it!)

4 comments:

Jeanna said...

puh-lease. what are you? like a buck 15?

you'll look great in a bathing suite whether you start eating yogurt and almonds or not.

Sarah Alway said...

Ah ha. One would think, but it actually has nothing to do with weight. After reading an article last night I do believe I can be classified into the category of girls called "Skinny Fat." According to their BMIs, these types of women actually face as many health risks as obese women. So I might be a "normal" weight, but I am still weak and unhealthy, which is no bueno. So I am focusing on cardio, which will improve my endurance, and weight training, which will improve my strength. This in addition to a healthy diet, which will improve my metabolism and give me energy, should actually make me look and feel a lot better!

And let's face it, feeling good about yourself is half the battle.

ReadyToShelve said...

Webcam - you miserable piece of shit! Don't ever come around here again unless you want my fist making a webcam out the back of your head! Yeah that's right, Webcam, I'm threatening you!

Sarah Alway said...

Yes Stinger! Off with their heads! ;-)