Tuesday, March 04, 2008

My Naïvety Continues

I will readily admit to being far, far too gullible. I mean come on – infomercials are one of my favorite things on television, and you can pretty much convince me of anything. But today was really a letdown.

I’m sure I’m not the only one who has started taking Airborne every few hours at the slightest hint of a sniffle in order to avoid a full blown cold or the flu. In fact, when I run out at work I never have to worry – there are at least three or four other co-workers with a trusty tablet to lend me. And up until today I was totally convinced of this miracle cure.

Always the person to bring me back to reality, Stewart has been skeptical about Airborne since the day I started making him take it. So I wasn’t surprised that he was the one to call me today and alert me of a breaking news story:

Supplement company Airborne to settle $23.3M suit

Apparently there is no credible evidence that what’s in Airborne can prevent colds or protect from a germ infested environment. It’s basically an overpriced vitamin pill that’s been deceptively marketed. And even though the company doesn’t admit to having done anything wrong, they have agreed to settle the litigation and are even refunding money to consumes who bought the product. I hope you kept your receipts.

Bummer. All this time I could have just been taking a multi-vitamin instead of spending $8 on tubes of this crap. But I really did think it cured me! In any case, at least it forced me to drink a ton of fluid, which isn’t all bad.

Why am I so naïve?!?

4 comments:

So@24 said...

I too was convinced of its miracle properties.

Damn.

I really wanted it to work.

Anonymous said...

at least you can get a refund for up to 6 boxes with no proof of purchase! I am getting some of my money back.---jenny

Anonymous said...

I just found this, as well! Dammit!

Anonymous said...

crap! i took that stuff too!!!

Brooke :)