Thursday, April 15, 2010

Book Nerd: Better Off

Let’s just say I read A LOT. I’m in two book clubs. Nerd alert. When I was a kid I used to get in trouble for reading under the covers with a flashlight. In hindsight, I wonder what my parents were so worried about… at least I wasn’t glued to the boob tube. Anyway, since literature constitutes such a large part of my life (mainly, my morning and evening bus commutes), I decided I would share little tidbits with you here every now and then.

Don’t worry, my intention isn’t to turn this blog into a book review site, but I think a few quick opinions here and there might be interesting to at least some of my readers. So here goes…

Last night I finished Better Off: Flipping the Switch on Technology, by Eric Brende. I originally bought this book because I noticed several other bus commuters reading it, and I thought it seemed interesting. It’s a true story about a young couple (a MIT grad and his new wife) who have become disillusioned with the way technology has taken over our lives. So, as an experiment, they move to an undisclosed community where the lifestyle is considered ancient even by traditional Amish standards.

The book is written like a compelling story, and even though it is non-fiction I was really drawn in. It highlights the couples’ struggles and triumphs throughout 18 months in the community, including the birth of their first child (all without the help of modern technology). In the end, they did choose to leave the community, but to this day they live with a very limited amount of technology in their lives. The author still doesn’t have a computer at home and only got an email address at the insistence of his editor.

The thing I especially liked about this book is that the author took a very objective and non-religious standpoint. He looked at the benefits of the community’s lifestyle without getting into the religious implications. It makes the reader ask the question: How much technology is needed for human comfort and leisure? Now, I find myself pondering how technology influences society, and wondering if there is too much of it in my own life. Maybe I should close my Facebook account. Or not... Just interesting stuff to think about.

It’s a quick read and I definitely recommend it if you’re looking for something to make the wheels in your head turn for a while.

4 comments:

Stevie said...

Sounds like a good read! I don't think there's anything wrong with technology and progress, but I definitely think it's been progressing SO fast in such a short period of time that we're all getting over stimulated. It makes me sad when I see young college students getting on the bus with their headphones on and immediately take out their phones and text or surf the web. I like to interact with those around me, and it seems like the younger generations aren't developing those skills anymore.

Rachael said...

Guess I'll need to add that book to by ever-growing list from the Library of Sarah!

rachaelgking said...

Nice! I'm traveling for a long weekend on Thursday and will definitely need something for the flight. This sounds perfect!

Sarah Alway said...

Stevie - I totally agree. I think technology is good but this book really made me think about how MUCH of it really we need, you know?

Rach - Lucky you, you're never going to have to buy a book again! Don't worry, I'll keep them coming...

LiLu - If you read the book you'll have to let me know what you think!