Friday, April 09, 2010

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!

I recently received an email from the wife of one of the other firefighters at my boyfriend’s department for an unusual charity drive… prom dresses! She is a high school counselor for a local school district, and started a program collecting donations of prom dresses for girls who may not be able to afford one themselves.

Most women I know have at least one or even several fancy dresses still in great condition tucked away collecting dust in the back of a closet. Old prom dresses, bridesmaid gowns and dresses from fancy benefits that you know you will never wear again. So why not give them to a young girl who might not be able to attend prom, otherwise? Genius!

I immediately set to work contacting my lady friends to collect dresses in all sizes, colors and styles. In less than I week I was able to gather twenty beautiful dresses that will now be put to good use.

What a great opportunity to help give girls who are less fortunate a stress free prom experience! I’m quite proud of myself! Thank you to everyone for your incredible generosity, you really helped make this a success!

3 comments:

Rachael said...

Yay i see all of my dresses hanging up!! Way to go Sarah!

Anonymous said...

that is a lovely idea for a great cause. good for you and all your friends that gave!--jenny

Sarah Alway said...

Rach - thanks for your donations!

Jen - I know, I thought it was such a fantastic idea! :-)