Friday, May 26, 2006

A New Definition for "Single"


As I ponder the loneliness that is my life, I have come to examine the concept of friendship. More importantly, the idea of “best friends.” According to the dictionary “best friend” is defined as “the one friend who is closest to you.”

I had a best friend in the third grade. It was the first week of a new school year, and we met in the bathroom. After shyly introducing each other and discovering we had the same teacher, the bond was quickly formed. We held hands as we walked back to class. By the time fifth grade rolled around, I had acquired another best friend. The three of us even went so far as to buy one of those best friend necklaces made for three people – a heart on a chain broken into three even pieces, symbolizing our friendship.

Sadly, due to district configuration, I was sent to a different middle school than my bosom buddies. We kept in touch for a while, but over the years, the friendships faded. And by seventh grade, everyone at my new school already had their “best friends” picked out. There wasn’t much prospect for the creation of an undying friendship since I was the “new girl.” However, I did make some amazing friends over the next few years, girls that I had never felt so close with as we experienced our first loves, first periods, the divorce of parents and the death of pets. I found myself strongly connected to one girl in particular. However, she had had her technical “best friendship” locked in since kindergarten, and there was no room for me.

By the time high school rolled around, my tight circle of friends had widened considerably. And during those four years my individual friendships grew and faded, depending upon class schedules, team activities, and general common interests. However, it was always vividly clear to me that when push came to shove, “best friends” always sided with each other. I seemed to be well-liked and included in all activities, but I could never shake the feeling that I was expendable, since I was not technically connected to another girl in the group by those two magic words.

You would think these to be the naïve feelings of childhood. But when I began college, the first friends I made were already talking about their “best friends,” whether they were from back home, or newly formed college friendships. Once again, I was the outsider, the third wheel clinging onto friendships that were not really my own. The thought finally occurred to me: I had really missed the boat. I had missed my chance at having a lifelong “best friend,” the person who would be there for me always, no matter how many fights we had. The person who would always be on my side, always choose ME first for kickball, always understand why I cried without even asking.

As an adult, I still feel pangs of loneliness as I watch the “best friendships” of others continue to grow. Even as grownups, women are sure to make it known who their “best friend” is. And it may seem selfish and dumb, but sometime I want to be the most important, the most special. These feelings are probably magnified because of my single status. Isn’t your boyfriend/husband supposed to become your best friend, and make all those feelings go away? That’s what I’m hoping for at this point, because it seems that time has run out to find a best friend – everyone was already taken, years ago.

I know they’re just words, just a phrase, but why do they seem to have so much hold over me? Why do they still create so many feelings of regret, even though I am a grown woman? Perhaps I’ve convinced myself that having a best friend there to cushion me would subdue the pangs of sadness and lonliness I feel. Maybe I’m just looking for excuses. The fact remains, I need to figure out how to stand on my own two feet. And learn that jealousy is not a positive emotion, and I cannot allow it to take over my life, no matter how alone I feel.

"Always a bridesmaid, never the maid of honor."

5 comments:

Jeanna said...

Jesus Christ Sarah.
I believe people have different degrees and varying situations of "Best Friends."
You are my "Best Friend." Even if I'm not yours, which offends me...

"That’s what I’m hoping for at this point, because it seems that time has run out to find a best friend – everyone was already taken, years ago."

I have a level playing field that includes you, Vanessa, Larisa and Amanda. I'm closer to each one of you for different reasons, but you're all my best friends. You are one of the only ones who knows every single gritty detail about everything in my life. I'm thankful that you're there for me and believe that hierarchy is bull-shit.

Perhaps you should focus on the good friendships you have, and how lucky you are for that, and leave the worrying about who considers someone else a better friend than you for elementary school.
This blog depresses me.
Is this stemming from the Cailin/Lacey alone time situation? What's going on here?...

Anonymous said...

I have always felt this way, too. I've had only one best friend and she was like a sister to me. She basically "dumped" me when I got married because she hated him. Damn, I wish I would have listened to her advice before I married the bastard!
From what I've seen, you have many close friends that seem to care a lot about you. I think you are very lucky to have so many friends nearby. Cherish what you have because the older you get, the harder it is to make new friends. I can tell that you really do cherish your friends, too. You are the most loyal person I've ever come across. You are a special flower remember?

Trizzle = )

Anonymous said...

awe this is so sad. yet so true. i felt the same way when i moved to Washington in 5th grade. Like everyone had already picked out their "best friends" .. dumb.. i was just best friends w/ my neighbor and then she moved. and then there was middle school! i'm glad me and you were in C hall together! lol.. me and you and Kim seemed to be attached at the hip w/ our "secret meetings" and do do do.. haha. all those inside jokes were fun.. the long, long journey and stuff.. but i kinda feel the same as you, like I just missed the boat.. It's hard to maintain friendships.. they are always changing. It seems like we were best friends once, and then i was best friends w/ Julie Moore and then even Tara Leiker, and then Kathy Phillips, and then of course, my ex, Nate.. but now I don't see any of them! This is weird timing cause my boyfriend now, just told me the other day, that III was his best friend.. and I loved that he said that, but i was kinda thinking, whatever.. because he has these guy friends that he has grown up w/ his whole life, who he lives with or next door to, and whom he will probably never stop being friends with..but we could just break up anytime.. i dunno.. i feel the same as you a lot of times though. its sad :( But i'm so excited for me and you to go to england to see jamie, i think it will be great! and i'm so excited to hang out w/ you in July too!! (oh, the two girlfriends i have down here, yes TWO, haha.. already have best friends) but oh well. lol.. - brooke

Anonymous said...

Saying you have a "best friend" is like actually choosing eight people to be in your "Top 8" on MySpace. I change that garbage every day because it's unfair and unimportant.

If I only knew three people, one of them would probably be my best friend. But out of the 100+ people I know, this is an impossible choice to make.

How can I measure a "best" friendship? Is it the person who lives nearest to me, like a co-worker who lives in my building? The person I've known the longest, like the girl I met in the 8th grade and still know after college? The person who has shared the most intense or scary situations with me, like getting shot at as we ran through a parking lot? Does that make our bond stronger than the bonds I have with others? The one who understands me the best? There are some who understand me very well, but they live in places like New York and Japan. The one I miss the most? Well what if they don't miss me? How can we be best friends if our mutual appreciation is actually lopsided?

Focus on building a circle of friends and leave that "best" adjective on the playground. ;)

Steve

Sarah Alway said...

Hey guys, thanks for all of your kind words. I was kind of depressed the day that I wrote this, so no worries. But all of you are right. The term "best friend" is semi-childish, and should probably be left in elementary school. I have many people in my life I consider best friends for many different reasons, and I cherish all of these friendships. I am a very lucky girl to have so many people who care about me. I thank all of you for being there, and for being the best friends a girl could ever have. Yeah, you guys know who you are... *wink*