Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Fried to a Crisp


This past Saturday, my friends Lacey, Hannah and I decided that summer had arrived, with record-high temperatures predicted for the next week – perfect beach weather! The girls are lucky enough to live directly across the street from Alki Beach, so I headed to West Seattle to spend the afternoon sunbathing. Yesterday morning, Lacey called to inform me that she had just returned from the doctor’s office – with a diagnosis of first-degree burns covering 95% of her body! Ouch!!

On Saturday, the temperature reached a lovely 82 degrees – perfect for laying out on the beach all day, in my opinion. There was a nice breeze off the water, and even though the sand was scorching hot on my feet, it really wasn’t unbearably warm. Lacey and Hannah had been basking in the sun for about an hour before I arrived at noon. Determined to get some sun, I made the admittedly stupid decision to forgo any kind of sunscreen. So did Lacey and Hannah. A couple hours later, Lacey was beginning to turn a bit pink. I, however, had no lines whatsoever!! Annoyed and sweaty, we headed home for a Popsicle.

Out of the scorching sunlight, it quickly became apparent that Lacey really should have used some sunscreen – preferable sunBLOCK, SPF 1000. She was red as a tomato all over her entire body, in some spots almost purple! I’ve never seen a worse sunburn in my entire life! It hurt my eyes just to look at her! She spent the remainder of the evening taking ibuprofen and slathering herself with after-sun lotion.

The next morning I awoke determined to get a beautiful bronze tan. Lacey reluctantly (and painfully) pulled on her bikini and we headed to Madison Park, just for a change of scenery. We spent the next couple hours slowly inching our towels along the grass, to make sure that Lacey’s fried body stayed in the shade, while my skin stayed within striking distance of the sun’s tanning rays. The result: Some faint tan lines on my chest, and a slight pink tone to my shoulders. WTF?!? How is it possible that Lacey managed to get horribly burned in just three hours, while I spent two days in the sun and still have nothing to show for it?

Admittedly, I have been to a tanning salon a few times in the past month. Maybe by slowly exposing myself to these fake sunrays, I have taught my skin not to burn or something. And maybe my olive skin tone helped, too. For Lacey, on the other hand, this was the first time her self-admitted virgin white skin had seen the sun since last summer. And it obviously rebelled against such abuse.

Since my tanning adventures, I’ve spoken to several different people about the benefits of using/forgoing sunscreen. I have always been one of those people who believe that using any type of sunscreen, no matter how low the SPF, will prevent me from getting the best, darkest tan possible. I know, most people will say this is stupid, and I’m going to give myself skin cancer. Whatever. It’s my body, and if I choose to roast myself like a Thanksgiving turkey, that’s my business. Lacey used to feel the same way, but I think from now on she will be taking some precautions.

Upon further consideration, I did some research to find out if sunscreen really will prevent the skin from tanning. Apparently, the answer is quite the reverse. Although the skin changes color more slowly when you are wearing sunscreen, the resulting tan will be better and longer-lasting, because sunscreen will prevent your skin from burning and peeling. Additionally, a gradually achieved tan is safer, more even, and longer lasting. Interesting. But although dermatologists recommend the liberal use of sunscreen, they warn that it’s entirely possible for the sun to damage skin without burning it. So even slathering on the highest-number sunscreen at the beach or pool won’t spare you skin cancer and premature wrinkles. Great.

The most important thing I’ve learned is that sunscreen can actually help me get a better and longer-lasting tan, my top priority for the summer. So this week I’m going to go out and buy some sunscreen that has both UVB (burning) and UVA (cancer-causing) protection. I found that SPF 15 blocks about 93% of the sun’s rays, and SPF 50 blocks about 98% (and it’s often more expensive). I think I’ll stick to SPF 15, since the difference is so slight.

I find it kind of ironic that centuries ago pale chubby women were considered fashionable, because these characteristics were a sign that they could hire people to perform manual labor for them, and therefore stay out of the sun themselves. But today, it is considered a sign of class and wealth when a person has enough time to simply sit and bask in the sun all afternoon. (That is, when they are not exercising obsessively to maintain a perfect figure). My, how the times have changed.

Anyone want to go to the beach this weekend?

6/28/06 -- Update from Lacey: "The peeling has begun. My face is a sheet of dead skin, as is my upper back and soon to be my stomach and chest. My legs and arms may escape the flakes of fury. Here's to hopin!"

3 comments:

Paolo said...

Now why can't you post actual pictures of yourself in the same poses as the drawings? It'd make for a more appealing blog, I think.

Sarah Alway said...

Paolo, I will be sure to let Lacey know that she needs to send you a more personal photo... ;-P

Anonymous said...

Damn girl, you hit the nail on the head what that last paragraph. If I were in Italy during the Italian renaissance I'd be a frekkin' goddess. Plus skinny girls were considered poor, and of a lesser class because they couldn't afford to eat much, and mac and cheese and/or top ramen was not readily available for those on a budget. Paintings of the women from the renaissance era were of robust, SHAPELY woman, with real butts and even belly's.

My how the times have changed indeed.