Thursday, June 01, 2006

The Red Tent


I don’t just read books. I become obsessed with them. I finished reading my most recent fixation when I got home from work tonight, unable to let go until the last page was turned. This one was GREAT, I highly recommend it.

The Red Tent, by Anita Diamant, retells the story of Dinah, which is found in the Bible’s book of Genesis, Chapter 34. It is most commonly known as the “Rape of Dinah.” In Genesis, Dinah does not say a single word; what happens to her is recounted and characterized as rape by her brothers. But in Diamant’s fictional tale, Dinah finds her voice. The Red Tent is told entirely from her perspective, and the women around her.

I don’t know how I have only now discovered this book, because it was first published in 1997 and my mother has been claiming it as her favorite for at least a couple years. I’m usually not a huge fan of historical fiction, but will definitely file this one away in my “favorites” category.

I’ve always found the roles (or absence) of women in the Bible very fascinating. Considering my intense Catholic upbringing and being named after one of the most important women in the bible, these tales of ancient holy life have continued to hold my interest. My constant struggle with faith is fed by the morbid curiosity of, “How much of it is true?” And so I read, and it’s been rare that a biblical tale has held me so captive.

The Red Tent is fiction, but the novel still reveals the traditions and turmoil of ancient womanhood – a story that, sadly, has been left out of the Bible’s fantastic tales. I was fascinated to read about the imagined lives of Dinah’s mothers; Leah, Rachel, Zilpah and Bilah, who were sisters and the four wives of Jacob. Polygamy is obviously no longer an accepted practice, but in ancient times, it was quite common. And according to this story, the wives were often quite close with one another – working together to take care of the large extended family, cooking, cleaning, sewing, washing – all the while trying to become pregnant as often as possible to birth many sons. Yuck.

Dinah’s personal story of this remarkable period of early history created a connection to this secret world of women I never imagined. The book clearly illustrates how ignored, used, and betrayed these women were, but also how valued and special. Dinah’s life changes and goes through so many phases over the course of the novel – she experiences her first love, the murder of her lover, the betrayal of her father and brothers, the birth of her son, the loss of her son, the depths of despair, and finally the ability to find love again. I have a deeper respect for the important place of women in society after reading Dinah’s untold story.

I particularly liked a review of this novel by The Boston Globe: “The Red Tent is what the Bible would be like if it had been written by women.”

Interesting thought.

OK, I’m ready for a new obsession. Any suggestions?

0 comments: