Friday, May 08, 2009

All She Wants To Do Is… DANCE

I don’t remember my senior prom being anything particularly spectacular. As part of the Leadership class at school I was a member of the committee who planned the whole thing and spent the morning of the big day decorating, so I suppose I shouldn’t have been surprised that I wasn’t extremely excited for the big night. It was remarkably uneventful and followed the same pattern as the ten other high school dances I had attended up until that point… dinner, cheesy photos, dancing, searching for an after-party, driving around town looking for said after-party, giving up on nonexistent after-party, rushing to make it home by curfew. I do not miss being 18.

However, some people have fantastic memories of their prom-going days, and this is probably why our friend’s parents throw an annual Spring Fling… Prom for ADULTS! I’m sure this sounds nerdy and cheesy, but it’s pretty much one of my favorite annual springtime activities!
This year the dance was held in a ballroom at a beautiful local-area hotel – yay, no having to worry about a designated driver! The hotel was gorgeous, with a world-class art collection (each floor featured work by a different artist), a super modern design and breathtaking views. Although we didn’t have time to take advantage, it also boasted a spa and salon.

My friends and I definitely giggled like schoolgirls while we crammed into the hotel bathroom to fix makeup and hair. But no more paranoia about getting caught for those pre-prom shots! We headed downstairs for a delicious meal that started with a salad and dinner rolls followed by prime rib or chicken marsala, roasted red or mashed potatoes and steamed asparagus.

Oh yeah, and when you’re a grown-up, there is a BAR at the prom. We alternated between the dance floor and ordering cocktails for the next few hours before stumbling upstairs to our hotel room. No more sneaking quietly in the front door praying mom and dad aren’t waiting up!

Sure, the whole thing is a little bit silly, but it’s tradition, and I really can’t think of an excuse NOT to get dressed up for drinks, dinner and dancing with friends. Plus, this year the Spring Fling just happened to fall on my boyfriend's birthday!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, STEWART!

Do you have any favorite prom memories?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adult prom. That's kind of a fun idea.

Amber said...

That sounds TOTALLY fun and I LOVE your little black dress. You look great!

Anonymous said...

I never went to prom in high school and don't regret missing it. However, I did get a taste this year at Barrister's Ball, aka Law School Prom. It was fabulous :) It was at a vineyard, so free wine!

Bayjb said...

OMG I totally want to go to adult prom. Yay that sounds like so much fun!

Seattle Swift said...

Haha, I did the exact same thing on my prom. Drove around looking for an after party and gave up when we realized the house was completely impossible to find. Sounds like adult prom was a blast!!

Brooke said...

prom sucked! haha! i ditched my AWFUL date and then had a boring time! aah!