Saturday, May 30, 2009

Go Big or Go Home

There’s nothing like having someone pinch the fat on your arms, legs and stomach, and then having them tell you exactly how out of shape you actually are. That’s how I started my Saturday this week.

I’ve been thinking for a while now that I really need to get in gear and get in shape. I generally go the easy route and prefer to simply not eat rather than drag my lazy butt into the gym. But this idea came to a screeching halt when my 50-year-old dad who does not exercise totally killed me on a very easy day hike. Not cool.

But I know myself. I’m lazy and unmotivated and even if I go to the gym I don’t push myself and constantly come up with excuses. So I gave myself a shove: I signed up for Seattle Adventure Boot Camp. It’s a four-week, women-only outdoor fitness program with a Certified Fitness Trainer… from 5:30 to 6:30am, Monday through Friday. Am I crazy?!?

Part of the program includes attending a pre-camp evaluation to determine weight, measurements, and body fat percentage. Let me tell you… seeing those numbers in accusatory black and white was a very humbling experience. So off I went to purchase my yoga matt and weights in preparation for the torture looming ahead.

Although terrified, I’m really looking forward to the promised results:
  • 3-5% reduction in body fat
  • Greatly improved posture
  • Better relaxation
  • 5-12 pounds of weight loss
  • 1-3 inch decrease in the midsection
  • 25% improvement in endurance & strength

I would sooner die than post the results of my pre-camp fitness evaluation here, but I’ll definitely report back with results at the end of Boot Camp. If I survive...

4 comments:

Amber said...

I did a bootcamp last fall and it was AWESOME! It will be hard getting up that early for the first bit, but soon you'll probably like it, and I bet it will whip you into shape. Bootcamp classes are hard and they do a combination of different things to work your whole body!

Good luck!

Rachael said...

I REALLY want to hear about boot camp!! Is it as hard as you thought?? That 5:30am part seems brutal enough!

Brooke said...

that sounds fun! i need to do something like this after I have the baby!

Sarah Alway said...

It's definitely pretty intense... I've done one week so far and it was brutal... by day three I was so sore I could barely walk! I'm hoping week two I will see some improvement... stay tuned!