Tuesday, May 19, 2009

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood

I’ve definitely developed a substantial crush on my new neighborhood, but it wasn’t until this past weekend that I knew I was really in love. I arrived home late on Sunday afternoon to find that my bus had been re-routed. As I walked the extra few blocks home, it took me a few distracted moments to notice the groups of brightly dressed people crowding the sidewalks surrounding my building. Streets were blocked off by police vehicles and children waving flags and balloon animals darted between the legs of laughing adults squinting in the sunshine.

What the heck was going on?! Had the perfect weather simply brought the local Ballardites out of winter hibernation? A quick internet check revealed the truth: May 17th signifies Syttende Mai, a celebration of the day in 1814 when Norway’s constitution was signed. Ballard is, historically, a Norwegian community, and the whole neighborhood had come out of the woodwork to celebrate. Fun!

Just then, I heard the crash of a band striking up. A parade! On my street! I immediately poured myself a cool drink and parked myself in a chair on my patio with my bare feet up on the railing, feeling just a little bit superior to all the people parked in lawn chairs on the sidewalk below. For the next hour I took in beautiful costumes, a restored Viking ship, marching bands, horses, adorable children, and traditional Norwegian costumes.

If this is any indication of how my summer is going to pan out, I’m completely satisfied with my new home.

2 comments:

shansPLC said...

Yay for Ballard!! I totally love it too!

Sarah Alway said...

Sometimes I miss living in Queen Anne, but it's days like this that remind me how much I love Ballard! This will be my first summer there and I'm really looking forward to it...