Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Just Another Wednesday Morning...

This morning I went through my usual routine of hitting the snooze button about six times before finally dragging myself out of bed (late again) and into the shower. I rushed around frantically and was somehow still able to get myself out the door by 8:05 a.m. If I leave later than this, I am destined to miss the bus.

I live on the fourth floor, so as usual I hurried down the back staircase of my condo building, which lets me out on a main street sidewalk outside a coffee shop. I wasn’t in the mood to run for the bus today, so I moved hastily through the hallway at the end of the stairs and slammed on bar to open the access door.

*SMACK*

It only opened about an inch. Ohmygod ohmygod ohmygod. I suddenly became vividly aware that I had inadvertently invaded upon a homeless person’s impromptu shelter for the night... and may in fact have taken his or her head off. For a second, I just stood there on the other side of the door, flooded by random emotions. Embarrassment, irritation, pity…

I wasn't sure what to do, because if I went back up two flights of stairs to the main level and then took the elevator down through the lobby, I was sure to be late for work. But I heard some rustling on the other side, so I cautiously opened the door again.

A homeless woman who was using the little alcove as a bedroom had shifted slightly to one side so I could exit the building. I pushed the door open enough so I could slide through the opening, stepped over her hunkered figure and bags of trash, mumbled an “excuse me, I’m sorry” and was on my way down the sidewalk.

I have no idea how to react to this strange encounter, and for some reason it’s really been bothering me all day. Part of me is annoyed that I was forced into such an awkward situation, but another part feels extremely guilty that I walked out of a beautiful brand new condo after a good night's sleep – while this homeless person spent the night outside on the ground.

How would you react if put in a similar situation?

6 comments:

Amber said...

Oooh, that does sound awkward. I always feel a mix of awkwardness and pity when I see homeless people.

At least she moved to let you out, that's good I suppose..

I don't know what I would do. Probably the same thing you did!

Alyssa said...

ooh gosh awkward...

i think you should just feel thankful that she wasnt a crazy axe wielding homeless lady, then you would have been in trouble!!!!

but in all honesty im sure it has happened to her before... i wouldnt be too worried. its not like you did it on purpose so you didnt do the wrong thing :)

Anonymous said...

Yeeeaaaah, that's the kind of thing that makes me sad and stays with me for a while.

shansPLC said...

oh man, i know exactly what you mean about feeling awkward and bad. I live in Ballard in new condo and there's an empty lot next door that homeless people sleep in. And I feel weird and a little guilty seeing them but at the same time I don't know what put them in that situation and i can't shoulder their burden, you know. They usually keep to themselves and don't bother people but yeah, i feel you.

hope you had a better start today!

Anonymous said...

i would hve done exactly wot u did!!!and it would have eaten me up all day. i hate things like this and part of me would be angry at that homeless person for being there int he first place bt really and truly it may not be their fault.

Rachael said...

That's sad! I thinks that's the worst part about working downtown. Walking by so many homeless people every morning makes me feel so bad for them!