Saturday, November 25, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving!

I am thankful for each and every one of you who take the time to read my blog and learn about my life. You all mean so much to me!!

God, I love Thanksgiving! I think I gained 5 pounds, but it was totally worth it! This year my family went to my aunt and uncle’s huge, beautiful house in Woodinville for Turkey Day. Since my grandma had 15 children, you can imagine what a packed house it was. But so much fun! You just can’t go wrong with a bunch of crazy Irish Catholics during the holidays… they pretty much see it as a drinking free-for-all. So just to fit in, I began sucking down the Pinot Grigio.
Trying to ignore the football game, my female cousins and I sat by the fire and gossiped about life until dinner was ready. And let me tell you, the meal that came out of this giant kitchen was absolutely amazing. All the required dishes were represented: Turkey, gravy, stuffing, mashed potatoes, yams, cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie. I heaped up a plate full of goodies and sat down to stuff my belly.

After dinner everyone proceeded to get drunker and sillier. While a lively poker game went on in the family room, my aunt Susi proceeded to give everyone in the living room a new and improved hairstyle while a giant puzzle contest began in dining room. Upstairs, I have no idea what all my male younger cousins were doing in the rec room, but I’m sure it had something to do with video games and the absolute largest television set I have ever seen in my life.
Downstairs, the fun continued as I joined one end of the table in puzzle mania. The goal was to finish our puzzle before the other team finished theirs, and of course my team won – I’m great at puzzles! Since that game had gone by so fast, and because I was still far too tipsy to consider driving home yet, we decided to start another puzzle, this time a much harder one. Let me tell you… doing a complicated puzzle with a wine buzz is quite the challenge, but it sure makes for entertaining conversation in the meantime!

The highlight of the evening? When all of my aunts, my sister and a few of my cousins decided to host Dance Party USA in the family room. If you've never seen a bunch of middle aged women dance on tables to the Black Eyed Peas, you haven't lived.

Finally I headed back to the city, full and happy. Only to look forward to another Thanksgiving dinner the next day! Jeanna, Larisa, Kelly and I thought it would be fun to celebrate a “Friends Thanksgiving” this year, so we all headed over to Kelly’s Friday night for another feast. However, this time we decided to mix it up – South Beach Thanksgiving! Yep, that’s right… every single thing we ate was South Beach Diet approved… except for the marshmallows on the sweet potatoes, which Je insisted on having.

Luckily, Kelly had some other friends over as well, who helped us consume what turned out to be WAY too much food for four girls who had stuffed themselves silly just 24 hours earlier. And really, I don’t think these outsiders would have even guessed they were eating diet Thanksgiving food, except for those cauliflower mashed potatoes. And my green bean casserole went over very well, even though no one wanted to have it when we first discussed the menu. My rock hard whole wheat rolls were another story.

Man my life is great, filled with warm houses, good food and great friends. I am really lucky. And so thankful to all of you who enhance my life in different ways. I am truly blessed.

Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad have gotten to hang out with you a bit, can't wait until your birthday!!!!! You are super sweet and I can't wait to meet Jazzy.