Tuesday, April 21, 2009

It puts the lotion in the basket or it gets the hose again.

Because I live in a tiny corner of the world that doesn’t see the sun for 10 months out of the year, fake ’n’ bake tanning has become quite popular in Seattle. It’s definitely one of my guilty indulgences. A couple years ago Desert Sun tanning salons started popping up in every neighborhood throughout the city, and of course I was suckered into one of their introductory tanning packages. I’ve been hooked ever since. I just can’t resist those stress-free minutes of basking in glorious rays.

So last night after work I stopped in at Desert Sun for my weekly fix. I find that the main problem with tanning salons is that they’re constantly trying to up-sell you. I can never just come in and use one of the tans I’ve already paid for. I have to sit and let them explain how much better the “super” beds are than the “medium” beds, and for just $20 I could upgrade right now. (That’s for one session).

But I’ve found that the main thing the over-eager orange counter girls try to sell is tanning lotion. Sure, I’m as much of a lotion fan as the next person… I have it in my bathroom, on my desk at work, in my purse, in my car, etc. But the lotion at the tanning salon, supposedly full of miracle tan enhancing chemicals that make your tan last 100 times longer, runs about $60 a bottle, on average. Wow, for the price of this stuff it better have flecks of gold floating in it. I’m sorry, but there is absolutely no way that I can justify spending that much money on LOTION.

Regardless, when I went in last night I got the usual hard sell, and this time they even tried to entice me with a free sample: A tiny plastic condiment container with a little blop of brownish goo at the bottom (normal cost: $3). However, since they made it complimentary, I was willing to try it out. I headed in and slathered myself with the sweet smelling lotion and proceeded with my tanning session. 12 minutes later I got out, reeking of the usual burnt flesh smell – now with a touch of coconut.

Standing in front of my bathroom mirror this morning when I got out of the shower, I definitely looked a little more bronzed, but not more than usual. However, my fingernails are now stained a light shade of orange from the miracle lotion. Honestly, I think the whole thing is a scam. Sure, maybe the lotion helps enhance your tan… because it stains your skin orange!

So at this point, I’m thinking there’s a lot of other stuff I would rather spend $60 on than a bottle of “miracle” lotion. I think I’d rather just stick with my drugstore brand, $6 per bottle, thankyouverymuch. Just as moisturizing for one-tenth the cost, and it doesn’t stain my nails.

But I’m curious. So many people are obsessed with tanning lotion and are willing to pay outrageous prices for it. What do you think?

15 comments:

*Amy Leigh* said...

OH MY GOOOOOODNESS HOW I MISS THE TANNING BED!!! That is by far, leaps and bounds, the worst part of pregnancy for me so far. It is however, a sacrifice I am certainly willing to make, but oh how I miss those 15-20 mins of glorious-ness!!!

I must admit, I did shell out the big bucks for the lotion. Normally there were pretty good specials that I could snag a bottle for less that $30, but I definitely believe in it! I think I believe in it because I always used something with "tingle" in it, my skin would look like it was ruined and blotchy when I got out of the tanning bed, but it always evened out nicely. You definitely should use a lotion of some sort before tanning to make sure you skin is moist so your skin is getting tanned and not the dry skin because it can cause you from getting to your maximum darkness.

Wow, sorry about the marathon!!!

Sarah Alway said...

Amy, my friend who is also preggo has switched to spray tanning until the little guy arrives. Might be an option for you...

I can definitely see why a lotion of some sort would be a good idea, but until I can find something more affordable it's going to have to wait... But if you have any brands that you recommend, please let me know and I will watch for sales! ;-)

Anonymous said...

as a black person i find it fascinating white people's obsession with getting browner while i strive to be lighter ( and am not even dark am really light skinned)

but one of my closest friends is obsessed and spend countless amount of ££££ on looking brown.some days she looks darker than me!!!

Anonymous said...

Regardless of where it is, I hate trying to be upsold on things! I know that they are just trying to do their job, but it drives me up the wall!!

Bayjb said...

I am NOT easily upsold on that stuff and I don't even like fake baking. I am pale as my genes intended.

aGm said...

I miss the tanning bed. My crazy mother kept sending me articles about how bad they are and I let her get to me.

About the lotion... a roommate of mine worked at a tanning salon for what seemed like forever, and because of my luck of living with her I never had to actually purchase lotion, but they raise the prices on those bottles an extreme amount (so I've heard). No, I would never pay the 60.00... I have better things to spend it on, like shoes!

*Amy Leigh* said...

You could even use a regular lotion from Bath and Body Works or something, I think it only matters that your body is nice and moisturized.

Sarah Alway said...

rambles@25 - I agree... It's kind of creepy that we are obsessed with cooking ourselves like turkey in the oven, but I'm just so addicted!

The New Black - I agree, there's not much that's more annoying than someone trying to pressure you into buying something you don't need.

Bayjb - You're lucky. I'm such a sucker, I always end up caving and buying something I don't need!

The Grindstaffs - I agree, shoes are a MUCH better item to spend ridiculous amounts of money on! At least you can show them off, unlike the lotion.

*Amy Leigh* - I actually mentioned that to the tanning salon staff. I told them that I use lotion all the time and that my skin is generally pretty moisturized, and isn't that the whole point? They said no, that regular lotions actually "block the tanning process." I don't think I believe that, though...

Anonymous said...

I have no real opinions on tanning, but I did enjoy your choice of titles for this post.

Sarah Alway said...

peterdewolf - THANK YOU for being the first person to comment on my title! For some reason I've always thought that line from Silence of the Lambs was really funny, and I quote it all the time to my friends, who probably think I’m just a little crazy. LOL.

Cailin said...

I did the title too! Clint and I say that all the time :)

Cailin said...

did = dig ... oops!

ADeskJockey said...

Tanning = HEAVEN. Do not go to Desert Sun they are a rip off. I got to Tropical Tan. I met the owner, he is this amazing little old man who comes and repairs the beds himself. They are home of the $5 Wolfe Tan and its such a great deal. PS. I spent $50 on tanning lotion (that I love and I see a difference from) and when I bought it they threw in a FREE SUPER tan in the High Performance bed. Love the freebies!!

Sarah Alway said...

Shan - I agree that Desert Sun is a rip off, but their salons are so nice by comparison... I just usually wait until they are having a special, like last time I think I got 20 medium tans for $65.

Anonymous said...

I quote it all the time too!