Tuesday, April 07, 2009

All Stars

Since I used to rock Converse Chuck Taylor All Stars every day in the seventh grade, I was pretty excited when they started coming back in style. So a few weeks ago I picked myself up a pair. I’ve worn them a couple times (mostly on the weekends to run a quick errand or something), but never more than an hour or two at a time.

However, this Saturday I woke up, threw them on and proceeded to spend the entire day in them, including walking around Queen Anne and the Seattle Center. They were super comfy and I was totally satisfied with my purchase… I didn’t take them off until we got home at almost midnight.

The next day I got out of bed and literally fell over. My calves were so tight and sore I could barely walk!! I couldn’t figure out what was wrong at first. Then I realized… It was the first time in probably four years that I had worn flat shoes for an entire day. I always, always wear heels, even on the weekends. The most time I spend in tennis shoes is probably an hour, and that’s when I’m at the gym. And apparently, as a result, my alignment and muscles have been seriously altered.

This has got to be a problem, right? But I’m 5’3” people! I need those extra three to four inches, and I just feel so much better in heels. My posture straighter, which makes me feel thinner, and I just don’t think flats are as professional-looking for work.

But it can’t be normal to have problems walking just because you wore tennis shoes for a day… Hmmm.

5 comments:

Seattle Swift said...

Haha, I am the opposite. When I wear heals it feels like my calves are going to split in two after about an hour! I love chucks, they are like slippers!

Bayjb said...

I remember that you commented about wearing high heels all the time. OMG girl you are my hero! What brands do you wear that can give you that much support! Love the shoes, hope your legs reshaped :)

shansPLC said...

Hello! I come by way of 20sb!

I have the opposite problem. I'm tall(ish) 5'6" and when I wear heels I tower over everyone in my office (and they're wearing heels too!!) One time I was walking downtown and my heel got stuck in a crack in the sidewalk and i left my shoe behind! yikes!

Sigh....to bad all the cute shoes have super high heels, but I buy and wear them anyway even though it makes me feel like a giant!

My favorite sneakers are onitsuka tigers by asics. they rock!

Yet said...

Haha. I love chucks! I never knew they went out of style! And I'm like you, i love hills, but I'm in college and my campus is huge. I walk everywhere! I'd ruin my hills (and i guess my back too) so I invested in some flats. At first it was strange wearing them but now I love them both. Very nice.

By the way, i saw you blog on 20 somthing bloggers. Have a great day.

Sarah Alway said...

Mary: I definitely love my Chucks but I obviously need to get used to them!

Bayjb: It's not so much the brand but the type of shoe. I try not to buy super cheap heels because they have no support and make my feet ache. Also I try to buy leather when I can because after I break them in they mold to my feel and feel wonderful and comfy.

ShansPLC: Hello! Ironically, on Friday after work I was walking home and my heel got stuck in a crack and broke off! They were my favorite boots. Boo. My sister is also 5'6" and struggles with whether or not to wear high heels. I think people should just wear whatever makes them feel comfortable/sexy or whatever it is they're going for that day.

Yet: I totally understand. I went to college on a super big campus and there's no way I would have walked around all day in heels there. PS - I checked out your blog as well and I really like it!