Sunday, April 05, 2009

Weekend Update

I saw my first 3-D movie. On Saturday morning we met up with Tara & Winst to go see Under the Sea 3D in the IMAX Theater at the Pacific Science Center. Wow. I’ve never seen a 3D movie before, and it by far exceeded my expectations! I highly recommend seeing one, if you haven’t already. Under the Sea 3D features some of the most exotic and isolated undersea locations on Earth, including Southern Australia, New Guinea and others in the Indo-Pacific region, with fantastic narration by Jim Carey. And the three dimensional aspect is crazy; it’s like you can actually reach out and touch things! The only downfall was some annoying global warming propaganda, and the fact that the theater was filled with screaming children. They cried every time a fish got eaten… it’s the circle of life, kiddies!

We bought a BBQ for our patio. When Stew and I were condo shopping, a patio definitely wasn’t one of our “must-haves,” but we were thrilled when we ended up with a unit with a large patio off the living room. So, after doing some research, this weekend we set out in search of the perfect BBQ. We found it at Lowe’s and pick it up on Tuesday, and I’m oh-so excited to start cooking all of our dinners outside. Hello, spring!

I learned how to drive a stick shift. Yes, I am officially in my late ’20s and still don’t know how to drive a stick shift. I just don’t see the point in making something harder than it has to be… why do something manually when it can be automatic? However, my boyfriend has a stick shift and it’s been problematic several times (he drinks too much = we are stuck). So this weekend he took me to the Ballard High School parking lot and forced me to figure it out. And I think I did okay, if I do say so myself. I only got to third gear and panicked when I accidentally turned onto a main road, but I didn’t stall the car in traffic and I could definitely drive his car now... if my life depended on it.

I joined the new LA Fitness Signature Club. I am such a sucker!! I’m already a member of the gym in the building where I work, because while I am in school a quick lunch time workout is about all I have time for. However, I’ve been planning on joining the new, huge, gorgeous LA Fitness Signature Club in Ballard ever since it first started construction. The club is now complete, and they had their grand opening this weekend, so I decided to check it out with the intention of joining in June after I graduate. However, once I arrived I found out that regular Signature Club memberships are about $85 a month, which I could never afford (of course they lack prices on their web site). However, joining at the grand opening got me a membership for $54 a month - a deak I just couldn't pass up. The club is amazing… it’s the biggest, most beautiful gym I’ve ever seen, with two floors, personal TVs on ever piece of equipment, a 25 meter pool and spa overlooking the Ship Canal, a full basketball court, and huge aerobics and spin rooms (classes are included with the membership), just to name a few features. My Ballard has posted some photos of the inside. PS - I am allowed to join two more people onto my membership at the $54 rate… let me know if you’d like to negotiate!

We had dinner and game night at Jesse and Katie’s house. If you haven’t already realized it, I am a big fat nerd, so I was super excited to head over to our friends Jesse and Katie’s house on Saturday night for a delicious fajita dinner complete with homemade guacamole, my favorite. And of course the highlight was GAME NIGHT! I can't even tell you how much I love games... my family members usually want to kill me after a holiday weekend at home where I force them to play intense rounds board games every evening. So I was thrilled on Saturday that after watching the basketball game we got to play Cranium. However, I realized I really suck at charades, causing me and Stew to lose. Is it sad that I now think dinner, game night and a few Caronas is just as entertaining as a night out on the town? I’ll say it again… I’m old!

I cooked a delicious (healthy!) dinner from scratch. On Sunday night my sister came over for dinner and I did something rare and actually cooked a meal comprised of more than chicken and vegetables… homemade chili! My friend Tara gave me a super yummy chili recipe which can be made super healthy by substituting the ground beef with lean ground turkey. So Sunday night I went to bed full, slightly wine buzzed, and happy… even though I put off my homework and now have to spend Monday night getting caught up.

How was everyone else’s weekend?

2 comments:

Tara said...

That day/night was fun! Yay for Cranium champs!! ;-)

Sarah Alway said...

Ugh, I can't believe you beat us! I'm such a loser. ;-)