Monday, June 15, 2009

Baby Fever

Last weekend, I had dinner with some old college friends. Three of the women at the table were pregnant. They are my age. Last week, I went to two baby showers. They are my age. One of my best friends from high school is due on Friday. She is my age.

And all I can think is… Dear God, I hope it’s not catching!!

Sometimes I wonder if I will ever be ready to be a parent. The entire concept just fills me with dread and anxiety. And as all my friends seem to be entering this stage in their lives, I can't help but wonder if I've somehow missed the boat. Or if there is some magic age or occasion that will eventually fill me with the instinct to pro-create.

But I’d be willing to bet my bottom dollar that it won’t be coming any time soon. Although I am filled with joy for all the wonderful women I know who will soon be greeting their little bundles of joy. Congrats ladies!

6 comments:

Bayjb said...

Oh man I've been there too. My college roommate just had her second baby. Insane. If this baby stuff is in the water, thank goodness I filter my water.

Mara said...

My friends are all having babies now too. It sucks. I mean you don't lose your friends once they have babies, but it is certainly not the same.

I don't want kids. It's ok to be a woman and not want kids.

Brooke said...

one day you will catch it! aaah! lol! you would be a great mom!! :)

Sarah Alway said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Brooke. But I'm worried that by the time I finally have kids Abe will be old enough to babysit them, LOL!

Rachael said...

I totally know how you feel!! Sometimes I think i want kids sooner rather than later, but then i realize i can barely afford to take care of myself, let alone another person! Note to self: master the arts of cooking and cleaning first, then worry about procreating. :)

Sarah Alway said...

Ha ha, very true Rach. ;-)