Saturday, June 06, 2009

That’s Hot

Firefighting is one of the few professions that has worked to put itself out of business. Fire safety education, updated building codes, sprinkler systems and smoke alarms all make the likelihood of an extreme structure fire much more rare than, say, 20 years ago. Most of the calls a modern day firefighter will respond to are emergency medical situations.

So it’s no surprise that Stewart has been working shifts for months now but still hasn’t gotten a “real” fire (apparently small stuff like car and brush fires doesn’t count). Sick of going to drug overdose calls, suicide attempts, and making countless trips to the old folks home (they fall down a lot), Stew has been itching to actually fight a fire. And he finally got his chance!!

His department got to battle a HUGE fire that broke out Thursday afternoon in a garage, quickly spreading to adjacent homes. He called immediately afterward to tell me about it and I was oh-so-proud of him!

I’m so glad that his “first time” is finally over with so he can stop stressing and wondering what it will be like. Of course he absolutely loved it and can’t wait to do it again. As for me, I am now the girlfriend of a bona fide firefighter, which means I get to constantly worry that something might happen to him.

Not that I would trade it for anything in the world.

3 comments:

Mara said...

I can't imagine dating a firefighter or a cop or something. I would be a nervous wreck!

Brooke said...

aaah! scary! i'd be a nervous wreck! i get scared for dustin at work b/c one day he got shocked pretty bad by this thing??! it was scary!!

Sarah Alway said...

Basically I just have to try and push all the bad thoughts out of my head, because otherwise there's no way I would be able to function... I'd be in a constant state of anxiety. Send good karma to Stewie!