Thursday, June 18, 2009

RIP Simba

You really know you’re getting old when your childhood pets start to die.

My mom called me last night to report that one of the cats we’ve had since I was in elementary school finally decided to go to kitty heaven. Her name was Simba, but we mostly called her Orange Kitty. She was part of my cat Tigger’s second litter, which means she was probably about 15 or 16 years old. So no big surprise that she finally just went to sleep and never woke up. Poor kitty.

She had a foul personality – skittish and unfriendly from the start. To be honest I never paid much attention to her, but she was always around, a constant sidekick to her sister, Kitsa. I have never once went back to my parent’s house since moving out almost 10 years ago without saying, “Hi kitties!” and giving them a quick pat. I don’t have a single memory that doesn’t include those lazy cats, asleep by the fireplace.

Simba and Kitsa have been two peas in a pod since they were born, and now I’m really worried that poor Kitsa will be the next to go. It’s kind of dumb, but I feel like with the death of my longtime pet, I really have to start letting go of my childhood… and it makes me sad.

I’ll miss you, Orange Kitty! Nasty temperament and all.

9 comments:

Mara said...

Awww, I'm sorry to hear about your kitty. When my first childhood pet Frisky (also an orange cat) died I was pretty sad. It was weird for a while every time went home to visit my family and Frisky wasn't there.

Brooke said...

i'm sorry sarah! one of my cats died not too long ago too, not one of my "original cats" but it was sad! RIP Simba!

Bayjb said...

So sorry to hear about Simba. That's so sad!

PerplxinTexan♥ said...

Awww, I'm sorry at least you know the truth. I can't tell you how many cats I've had that 'went swimming' or are 'shopping for candy'. Seriously? Who lies about cats going shopping.

Sarah Alway said...

Thanks for all your kind words! I was home this weekend and Kitsa totally seemed lonely and lost without her sister, it was so sad!

PerplxinTexan - I can't believe someone lied to you about your dead pets, that's horrible!

Sadako said...

So sorry for your loss!

Rachael said...

I remember Simba, how sad!! Zoey and Princess both died in the last two years, too. :( Do you remember them?

Sarah Alway said...

I totally remember Zoey and Princess! It's so sad, this really means we are getting old. :-(

Tara said...

RIP Simba.