Saturday, June 20, 2009

Drop and give me twenty!

Well, I survived my first week of Boot Camp… barely. So far I’ve learned that if you’ve basically never exercised a day in your life, an intense one-hour workout for five days in a row makes your body feel like you’ve been in a severe car accident… without a seat belt on.

By Wednesday, I pretty much needed a walker. It’s not that I didn’t expect it to be hard. I just don’t think I realized how actually out of shape I am. There are 60 women in my class, and I can only manage to stay ahead of about six of them. Some of these women outrank me by about 20 years and at least as many pounds.

Almost two thirds of the class chose the three days per week option, but I decided to really commit and attend five days a week. And trust me – I can definitely use the extra workouts. On Wednesday it took me more than an hour to complete a 3.5 mile hike. On Friday I learned that I can’t even run a mile without stopping, and I can only do 16 pushups in one minute… and they were the girly on-your-knees kind.

Normally, I would be humiliated enough to quit, but the group is actually amazingly encouraging and supportive. In addition, my sister and cousin are also in the class with me to provide extra enthusiasm. And I definitely need it.

So far, I don’t feel like I’m getting any faster or stronger… just more sore as each day passes. And I’m definitely wondering how long it will take to see results. Because I’m one of those people with the mindset of, “I worked really hard this week, I should see results!” And when I don’t get immediate gratification, I get discouraged and quit. But the good thing about Boot Camp is that there’s no quitting… at least not for another three weeks.

I’ve actually had no problems waking up at 5am each day, but I’ve also had to commit to no weekday drinking and a 10pm bedtime. Something probably not surprising to those who exercise is the fact that I am STARVING… all the time. The half granola bar I eat before Boot Camp seems to jumpstart my metabolism and I have to eat a full meal every four hours thereafter in order to keep from passing out. I am definitely not used to this – I normally eat my first meal of the day around 2pm.

So to sum up: I’m exhausted, but still alive optimistic for the results!

4 comments:

Kuck said...

So awesome! Keep up the good work! It's really good your sister and cousin are with you, I don't think I'd be able to hack it with just a bunch of people I don't know. Good luck!

flipflops said...

Good for you! I have heard fabulous things about boot camps -- and I've seen some amazing results. I just don't have the will power to get up at 5 a.m. If I could find a night-time bootcamp, I'd LOVE to try it out!

Mara said...

Good for you girl! It doesn't matter who your faster than or who you can do more push-ups than, it only matters that you are improving your physical health. Keep up the good work!

Sarah Alway said...

Thank you all for your encouragement! It's exactly what I need right now.

Cari - This boot camp is also available in the evening, but it's coed which did not thrill me. I feel self conscious enough without boys around!