Thursday, June 25, 2009

People are so weird.

I think riding in an elevator with a bunch of strangers is one of the more uncomfortable situations in life. Every morning, I ride up to my office in one of these crowded little boxes with six or more people who awkwardly sniff, cough, scroll through Blackberry messages or sip their coffee while staring expectantly at the doors, willing them to open. No one makes eye contact or says good morning. And at each floor people squish and squirm to the sides in order to let others off on their respective floors without accidentally bumping into one another. I’d venture to say it’s the worst part of my day.

But this afternoon really took the cake. The experience actually didn’t make me all that uncomfortable, just mildly curious. Human behavior is quite bizarre sometimes. Although my morning elevator ride is definitely mildly unpleasant, the actions of those morning commuters seems pretty typical. People seem ill at ease and disinclined to chit chat, but are generally polite when circumstances do sometimes warrant interaction.

Today, as I waited in the downstairs elevator lobby I said my usual little prayer to the vertical transportation gods that no one else would come into the hallway, and I would get a solitary, express ride to the top. No such luck. I was joined by another woman waiting for the same elevator, which arrived momentarily. With a ping, the doors started to open and we both stepped forward. Just then a tall, gangly man literally shoved his way in front of us as if sprinting to the finish line of some race I didn’t know I had entered.

Then, as the woman and I walked into the cab, he proceeded to stand directly in front of the panel and furiously press the “close doors” button over and over again. Um… okay. For the next 27 floors he stood directly facing the side wall of the elevator, as close as he could get, nose almost touching. The other woman and I exchanged sidelong glances. When we arrived at my floor, the man immediately began pressing the “open doors” button repeatedly. I took a step forward to exit the elevator, and once one foot was over the threshold, I heard him begin to beat on the “close doors” button again, as fast as he could.

Sheesh! Either this guy was really in a hurry or he has some kind of problem. My guess is the latter, judging from his weird stare-at-the-wall behavior. I definitely wouldn’t like to get stuck in an elevator with him.

People are so weird.

Do you have any crazy elevator stories?

3 comments:

Mara said...

I've never quite understood the unspoken rule of ignoring people in the elevator. I mean, your crammed close together in a metal box. Why not at least acknowledge one another!

Anonymous said...

I got stuff in an elevator once, between floors for 45 minutes with ten other guys. Most were very drunk.

It was... unpleasant.

Rachael said...

Sarah this is so hilarious!! It is weird how people get so quiet on the elevator. Luckily I only have 10 stories to go. You're at the very top, aren't you?? Seems like you've had more than one elevator incident. :)