Wednesday, March 11, 2009

So, I have a question…

Why, why, why do half of the people in my class raise their hand and then, when called on, start out by saying, “Um... so... I have a question…” and then pause and stare blankly at the instructor like they need him to say, “And what is your question?” before being allowed to continue?

No sh*t you have a question!! JUST.ASK.IT. I thought the general idea that in a class, when you raise your hand, it’s pretty much a given that you have a question. Or maybe a comment. But is prefacing it with “I have a question” really necessary?!?

I did the math and figure I pay roughly $50 bucks a night to take this class, and I really don’t appreciate how much of my time is being wasted by people explaining that they have a question before even asking it.

Funny how things have changed from when I was an undergrad, and any excuse to waste time in class was welcomed. I’m old.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It happens in my job all the time too! "Hi, I just called cuz I have a question."

No kidding!!

ReadyToShelve said...

Can I post a comment here?

Brooke said...

girl i know what you mean, people are sooo dumb! A lot of people do that in my art history classes and it pisses the instructor off.. or else she JUST went over the question they are asking. lol. i want to beat them!!!!