Thursday, February 07, 2008

The American Way of Romance

A co-worker sent this to me this week and I found it so hilariously entertaining that I wanted to share it. Single girlfriends, read on… as we see below, sometimes we might just be setting our sights a tad too high…

The following exchange took place on a Craigslist New York message board on Sunday, October 14, 2007:

A Desperate Single Woman’s Question:
“What am I doing wrong? I’m tired of beating around the bush. I’m a beautiful (spectacularly beautiful) 25-year-old girl. I’m articulate and classy. I’m not from New York. I’m looking to get married to a guy who makes at least half a million a year. I know how that sounds, but keep in mind that a million a year is middle class in New York City, so I don’t think I’m over-reaching at all. Are there any guys who make 500K or more on this board? Any wives? Could you send me some tips? I dated a businessman who made around 200-250K. But that’s where I seem to hit a roadblock. $250,000 won’t get me to Central Park West. I know a woman in my yoga class who was married to an investment banker, and lives in Tribeca. She’s not as pretty as I am, nor is she a great genius. So what is she doing right? Here are my questions, specifically:

  • Where do you single rich men hang out? Give me specifics – bars, restaurants, gyms.
  • What are you looking for in a mate?
  • Is there an age range I should be targeting?
  • Why are some of the women living lavish lifestyles on the Upper East Side so plain? What’s the story there?
  • Lawyers, investment bankers, doctors. How much do these guys really make? And where do the hedge fund guys hang out?
  • How do you rich guys decide on marriage vs just a girlfriend? I am looking for MARRIAGE ONLY.”

An Investment Banker’s Response:
“I qualify as a guy who fits your bill – I make more than $500K per year. Here’s how I see it: Your office is a plain and simple crappy business deal. What you suggest is a simple trade: you bring your looks to the party and I bring my money. Fine, simple. But here’s the rub, your looks will fade and my money will likely continue into perpetuity – in fact, it is very likely that my income will increase, but it is an absolute certainty that you won’t be getting any more beautiful! So, in economic terms, you are a depreciating asset. In Wall Street terms, we’d call you a trading position – not a buy and hold. It doesn’t make good business sense to ‘buy you’ (which is what you’re asking) – so I’d rather lease. The deal that makes sense for me is dating, not marriage.”

Be careful ladies, or you too will be considered a “Depreciating Asset.”

2 comments:

ReadyToShelve said...

What a dangerous subject to comment on. Here goes. :)

What that man's post didn't mention is that a man's looks (not all men, but most men) continue to improve through his 20s, 30s, 40s, and possibly 50s. It helps that women seem to be attracted to something older, but mostly the late improvement is because men take a longer time to let go of early fashion decisions. (for example, that last piece of college attire might not reach the trash until his late 30s!) I'm on the second hairstyle of my life at 32, and I've gotten compliments galore. Took me a while but the payoff has been huge.

The inverted trade-off is cruel and a bit spooky - women have frustrating difficulties maintaining their appearance as they age, while men just get more manly and have less to worry about, and let's not forget women are way more forgiving than men in this department. Women start to settle and their standards slowly lower, while men are looking for the same thing from high school to death.

Psychologically, if a woman hits her 30s and has trouble getting a date, she practically freaks out, whereas a single guy in his 30s is gleefully looking at a much larger dating menu than he did in his 20s.

I think men grow into the standard of what women are looking for in terms of maturity and financial stability. Give us a little time and we become stallions. Unfortunately, what most men are looking for is not something women become, it's something they were, and can't go back to. I agree that it's not fair, and I can't imagine what it's like to be the woman who wrote that Craigslist posting.

Sarah Alway said...

I KNOW. It's one of the most horrible double standards of all time. Men just continue to get better looking while women struggle to maintain who they were at at 18 - an impossibility we are unwilling to admit.

Lucky for you it looks like you're just getting closer and closer to your prime, you lucky bastard! ;-) When are you going to show up with a blonde, thin, gorgeous 21-year-old on your arm?