Friday, February 29, 2008

Jury Duty?!?

I’ve often wondered who these people are that apparently get called for jury duty. Never having been called myself, or even known someone who has been required to serve, the whole process didn’t even really seem real to me. Welcome to reality, Sarah.

I have been summoned. This week I received a notice from the Municipal Court of Seattle stating that I have been randomly selected to serve as a trial juror on March 25th. What a pain in my caboose. I’m sure that even though I am paid salary, my office will force me to waste one of my precious personal days on this chore. Oh, but not to worry, additional payment for each day of service (as set by The Seattle City Council) is a hefty $10! Maybe this will be enough to cover my parking at the Seattle Justice Center, which is apparently “limited and expensive.” The only upside is that we are supposedly dismissed each day by 4:30 p.m. which will give me an extra hour or two of productive daylight time. Other than that…

HOW ANNOYING.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lame. I have gotten out of it by saying I had the flu and was puking, I called the court office the day I was supposed to go in and they never summoned me again. I wasn't sick either. You are better off taking the bus, the parking situation is bad and expensive. And with most companies you serving jury duty is a public service duty and work can not usually make you make it up! It is all a government thing since you are a reg. voter. Hopefully you get some easy drunk driving case and it only lasts a few days. My friend once had a case that lasted three weeks!----jenny

Sarah Alway said...

Crap. That's exactly what I am afraid of -- the whole thing dragging on and on for days. Luckily I found out that my company pays for up to 5 days of jury duty per year, but still... Annoying.

Anonymous said...

My mom and sister have been called repeatedly, but not me. Call me crazy, I've actually been wanting to be summoned. It might be interesting. But of course, I have never been called. Such as life.