Monday, February 04, 2008

Super Bowl Sunday - Go Giants!

I am personally always more of an underdog fan, so I was thrilled yesterday when the New York Giants upset the New England Patriots for a Super Bowl XLII victory! Although in my personal opinion, I think the Patriots cocky attitude jinxed themselves before the first kickoff.

After the final playoff game, The Boston Globe immediately started writing and promoting on Amazon.com a New England Patriots undefeated season book titled “19-0,” according to Editor Martin Baron. I agree with most Giants fans that the early planning for this book showed WAY too much overconfidence on the part of New Englanders, considering there was still one game to go. As of this afternoon, one could still visit Amazon.com and order a copy of the doomed book for only $10.17 – but comments on the site read something like, “I think I will order some my dog can piss on it!” Ha.

I admit that some things have to be planned ahead for, but come on. And ironically, yesterday the Patriots’ expected perfect season dreams came to an end, when the Giants ended New England's bid for perfection, 17-14. I’m guessing this nixed Boston’s pre-planned a Super Bowl victory parade.

But here some great news to come out of the whole situation. Jeanna, who works for World Vision, informed me that prior to game day, victory t-shirts and other apparel is printed for both teams, in preparation for either outcome. Obviously, only one set ends up being used. So this year millions of dollars worth of New England, incorrectly titled victory apparel will be sent to families in extreme poverty, due to the NFL’s partnership with World Vision. Instead of being destroyed, the shirts and caps are shipped to various countries where many residents have never owned clothing in their lives.

And honestly, if I were a player for the Patriots and knew that my loss benefited thousands of poverty-stricken people in third world countries, I don’t think I would be so upset about losing.

But hey, let’s still be realistic here – GO GIANTS!!

0 comments: