Thursday, February 21, 2008

White Pass Ski Weekend

Only slightly worse for wear, I made it home from a fabulous three-day weekend at White Pass. Once again Stewart’s friend Brett’s parents planned and organized a fantastic trip for their family and friends, and of course Stew and I were lucky enough to be included.

We left Friday night after work with Matt and Alyssa, and four hours later we arrived at our slope-side accommodations, the White Pass Village Inn Condominiums. Our condo was a totally adorable alpine lodging experience, rustic and quaint with a sleeping loft, kitchenette, woodstove and balcony. It even came with storage for our skis and snowboards. It was kind of small for six people, but we’re all friends so we got cozy real quick.

Unfortunately we were not blessed with any fresh powder, but since Stewart was snowboarding for free due to his ski patrol hook-up he spent the day with me on the blue runs. Aw, what a good boyfriend! I was actually doing really well and feeling very confident by the time we went in for lunch. However, my last run toward the bottom ended up being a slight disaster, when I caught an edge and hit the ice hard. The bruise that still hasn’t faded from my rear end is not at all attractive.

After warming up with Crystal’s famous chili we hit the slopes for the rest of the day before heading in for dinner and a drink fest. I had made a huge amount of strawberry jell-o shots, so we carried those and an entire cooler full of beer down to the spa temperature, outdoor hot pool. After a day of snowboarding there is NOTHING I would have rather done at that moment in time.

A few hours and a few dozen jell-shots and beers later left us quite tipsy as we attempted to play a midnight game of Apples to Apples before giving up and heading to bed. The next morning definitely warranted sleeping in and a half-day lift ticket. Even though there was still no new snow, the day was sunny with gorgeous blue skies. My first run of day two I immediately proceeded to fall and re-injure myself. Even still, I snowboarded with Stew for most of the day and I actually think I’m getting much better!

Another night of drinking and hot-pooling rounded out the vacation. I definitely needed the long weekend of relaxation. And the snowboarding practice, of course.

(I do have actual pictures of the weekend, just waiting for them to be emailed to me. Check back soon!)

0 comments: