Tuesday, February 19, 2008

A Very Sad Story

When I talked to my mom last week she told me a very tragic story about my aunt, who lives in Eastern Washington. I feel horribly sad for my aunt and her loss, but this once again just proves my point that animals, especially dogs, can NEVER be trusted.

My aunt Karen is a huge animal lover and has had pets of all kinds throughout her life. For the past few years she has been breeding dogs both large and small. About ten years ago she acquired her favorite pet, a Bichon Frise (white, fluffy, teeny tiny little thing) named Q-Tip. “Tippy” has long been the family favorite and I think my aunt loves the little dog almost as much as her own children.

Right now Karen also has another dog, a Golden Retriever who is, at the moment, knocked up. I think the hormones must have really kicked in, because a few days ago the dog totally snapped. Apparently, little Tippy was in the backyard and tried to eat some of the bigger dog’s food. The large dog went into a rage, grabbed the tiny dog by the jugular and shook her like a rag doll, snapping her neck and literally spewing blood and guts across the yard. All three of Karen’s children witnessed the attack.

What a very sad story! But in all honesty, the first thing that I thought was, “Thank God it was only another dog that was the victim of the attack, and not one of my young cousins!” And now my aunt is put in the horrible predicament of having to choose whether or not to put down a dog that she loves because it killed another dog she absolutely adored. I feel for her. Big time.

But would you want to keep a dog around that had attacked another living thing and risk the next victim being your child? Or honestly, would you want to buy a puppy that came from a dog with that type of temperament? It just goes to show that you can NEVER give a dog the benefit of the doubt, and always realize that their primal instincts can strike at any time.

Poor Tippy!

0 comments: