Sunday, February 03, 2008

Meet the Parents

This year, for the first time, my boyfriend invited me to spend Christmas with his family at their house in Vancouver, WA. Unfortunately, Stewart’s dad and his wife got stuck in New York and didn’t make it back in time for Christmas, so the plans were canceled at the last minute. However, this weekend they made up for it by coming up to Seattle to spend some time with us.

Yep… I MET THE PARENTS! Scary, I know. It’s literally been years since I have been introduced to the family of the person I am dating, so it was a pretty big event for me. But even bigger for Stewart, I think, because he apparently has never introduced a girl to his family… ever! (He will be 27 this year).

So on Saturday Stewart’s dad, Russ and his wife, Patty, and Patty’s son, Patrick, met us at Sunset Bowl for a few games. It was a great ice breaker environment and I actually had a lot of fun after the initial awkwardness of, “Hi, I’m Sarah…” cheesy, uncomfortable smile, etc. We bowled two games and Stew’s dad and his wife are really great people. I felt comfortable around them almost immediately.

Afterward, we headed downtown to the Tap House Grill for dinner. Fantastic drinks, appetizers, entrees and desert combined with great conversation made for a really fun evening. And to top everything off, they had brought our belated Christmas gifts!

Overall the whole situation was much less stressful than I anticipated it being. I had a really good time and since Stewart and I have been together for almost a year now it was nice to know that he wants to include me in all the parts of his life. I can only hope that they had a good time and enjoyed meeting me as well. In any case, as Stewart said: “I think my dad is probably just surprised to find out that I’m not gay.” Oh Stewie.

4 comments:

Jeanna said...

god, that comment is so hilarious. and so stewie.

Anonymous said...

haha... oh sarah... he seemd like a chill guy, although half asleep, when I met him on my bday. Congrats on passing the fam test!

Sarah Alway said...

Yeah, I wish you could have met him when he was his normal, upbeat, AWAKE self... but hopefully we can spend some time together when you FINALLY come home!

Anonymous said...

Ha! Busted out laughing at the last comment! Too funny...